[ SHOWGSD-L ] Harley & Eukanuba & Westminster & WOW!!

  • From: "Paula M. Cooke" <pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 23:28:32 GMT

Had a great time on the “Right” Coast at the AKC/Eukanuba National Invitational
Championship Dog Show.  Sadly, due to some VERY bad and deceptive advice, I was
manipulated into missing it last year in Long Beach, in spite of Harley’s 3
invitations for 2010!  It was wonderful to attend this year in response to his
2 invitations for 2011.

Flew United and they were wonderful, as always.  In my seat, just before take
off, a stew brought me a little blue note that said, “I am on board and all is
well, Harley Davidson.”  He was brought to me within 15 minutes of me walking
off the plane at the Orlando airport.   He was crated a total of 6 hours and
they had even given him water before they delivered him to me.
It was a most exciting show and I especially enjoyed the International
competition.  There are some REALLY nice dogs in the rest of the world!!  While
waiting at the Orlando airport to come home, I met the French delegation, a
couple of very charming young ladies with a gorgeous Irish Setter.

At the show, I got to see some of the dogs that I have admired for a few years
now, up close and personal.  Walker, the to-die-for Toy Poodle; Beckham, the
flying Black Cocker, Capi, who I really had already met at the Topeka National;
last year’s Best in Show winner, who went on to win this year’s International
World Challenge competition, the Aussie, Propwash Reckon.  In the International
finals, I saw a dog that is really making me think, even more than before, that
I want one for my next show dog/pet – Xoloitzcuintli Grande, Tecoman (Avalos).
Besides making the International finals, he then went on to win Best of Breed
in the Invitational and placed 2nd in the Group.  What a strong, powerful,
well-muscled, athletic, handsome, balanced, clean, floating-mover, hard dog he
is!  A lady I was sitting with during Group judging said she has competed with
him at some Mexican shows and that he has a tough, confident, and hard
temperament, too.  I am IN LOVE!!

Saw and tried to visit with (as much as possible) many old and new friends, old
and new acquaintances, old and new competitors:  Diane Brantley (Texas), Diane
Roberts, Dick Jones (Florida), Sharon White (Alaska), Mary York (Illinois),
Brenda Shepherd, Stephen Cabral, Carla Davis, James Taylor (California), Team
Olivera = Jorge (Harley’s handler), Susie, Gustavo, & Pablo (Arizona), Allie
(OES lady), Clint Livingston (Colorado),  winners, Jim Moses & Sheree Moses,
Lenny Brown (Georgia),  the gentleman/handler (maybe owner?) from Norway who
brought, and competed in the international and the regular competition, his GSD
bitch, CH Zanta AV Quntos, Oscar Reyna, Jane Bates (Texas), Linda Clark
(Oklahoma), Pam Roose, Miguel Betancourt, Jamie Clute (South Carolina), etc.,
etc., etc..   There were a few people I had planned to meet up with, but,
timing didn’t work out for us this time.  There were some others whose names
escape my steel-sieve brain at this time.

There were 13 GSD Specials entered.  2 were absent, so 11 competed.  Babheim’s
Captain Crunch was chosen as BOB and went on to Group I (under California Boy
Bob Caswell); Enchanted’s American Thunder was BOS; Best Bred-by and JAM/AOE
went to Vonzo Zafiro; 2 more JAM/AOE’s were awarded, 1 to Pine Hill’s Payday of
Hayshill and 1 to my Harley!

2 super people that I am extremely proud to know, won their respective GROUPS!
Jim Moses with the aforementioned Capi, of course, and Susie Olivera with Chet,
her totally awesome Harrier!  I was hoarse by the time the Standard Poodle
finally defeated both of my favorites and took the coveted Eukanuba 2011 Best
In Show award.  When I saw the trophy presented, I was glad Harley didn’t win
it!!  It would have cost more to bring that gigantic thing home than it took to
get Harley and me there and back, 10 times!!  :-)   :-)

The Rosen Centre Hotel was a great property.  I had a beautiful room on the
12th floor with an awesome view of Orlando.  Lots of grass and shavings areas
for exercising the dogs, and easy walking distance to the show.  Many Booster
Baths, with warm water, set up for bathing our dogs any time of day.  Well
air-conditioned building, very comfortable.  Exhibits of different dog
activities, jumping, fly-ball, and other things I did not quite understand,
but, were very exciting and fun to watch and cheer for.

Meet the Breeds was done up wonderfully by Diane Brown and was a great credit
to the GSDCA, whom she represented.  They OWE her much praise and many
complements.  I tried to help her a little both days and had fun chatting with
her, Dick, and some other locals, as well as some of her fellow club-members,
and, of course, the public, who really do love GSD’s!  Sharon White brought her
handsome and sound boy, Bear, aka: CH Pleasant Hill’s Chicago v. True North,
HSAdsc, all the way from Alaska, over to the Meet the Breed booth, also.  He
was SO impressive with the little kids who wanted to claw, pinch, etc., as only
little ones can do!  He kissed them and got them down to his level, rolling
around and giggling!  It was wonderful to watch and made me, yet again, so
proud of this breed and what it truly CAN be!!

While in Orlando, I received the e-mail I had been so anticipating…..Harley,
not being in the top 5 this year, was not an invitee to The Westminster Kennel
Club show in February, 2012 at the Garden, in NYC, but, I received word this
past week that his entry was accepted and he is now welcome to compete there
again this year.  Harley will be handled by the handler he loves almost as much
as he loves me, the handler that fell in love with him the first time she saw
him, when he came to live with me at the age of 1.5 years; the lady that
trained him for me for the breed ring, put all his necessary minors on him, put
a major reserve on him under Mr. Michael Cheeks, put his first Best of Breed
awards (from the classes), on him, as well as several BOB and Group Placements
this past year…my friend, Michelle Cassidy!  Michelle and Harley will have
their Swan Song at the Garden.  Harley will be retired from this mad-cap
specials campaign he has been on for these past 2 years.  We haven’t quite made
the goal of 100 Best of Breeds which I arbitrarily set for him, but, he is
darned close, and, perhaps, will still complete that achievement at a few local
shows, maybe even from the Veteran’s Class?  Who knows, but, I do know that I
NEVER dreamed of a dog like this.  I never hoped, nor planned, to accomplish
all of this with such a wonderful pet.  What a ride!  What a dog!  I never
dreamed I would ever have a dog win 94 BEST of BREEDS, 10 Group I’s, 10 Group
II's, 9 Group III's, 7 Group IV's, an all-breed Best in Show over an entry of
approximately 1,500 dogs, and a Specialty Best in Show, TWO AKC JAM/AOE's, and
a few other much appreciated wins, titles, and awards!

Oh, yes....when I arrived home at 2:00 this morning, I had to open the large
envelope from AKC before I could sleep!  In it was Harley's Silver Grand
Champion Medallion!!  I slept well, with it close by!

Thanks for listening and thanks for all the support and "cheering-on" I have
received from so many on this List.

Happy Holidays to one and all!!

Paula, 294 days and counting

Home of BIS, BISS, Multi-Group Winning, 2 Time AKC JAM/AOE, Intern'l & Am CH,
Silver Grand Champion Asgard Harley Davidson, HT, PT, CGC, TC, HIC, OFA CHIC
#64047 (Hips, Elbows, Cardiac, & Thyroid),.1st male GSD Grand Champion. 2010 #1
GSD in California, Lifetime #1 GSD in Michigan, 2010 #1 GSD male in USA (AKC
GCH Stats), 2011 Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show Invitee. 2010-2011-Lifetime
AKC Eukanuba invitee. 2 Time Cruft's Invitee.