[ SHOWGSD-L ] Great Lakes Amateur Futurity/Maturity Another Look

  • From: WALFLWR2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 21:19:03 EDT

Iâ??m a bit tardy here, but Iâ??m sure everyone that survived the  frostbite
futurity in Indiana, will understand needing a little time  to thaw out.
As I was the chair of the very first ever Amateur Futurity to be  held, I
feel like I would be remiss not to report on it and my impressions  thereof.
Was
it perfect? No, but  then I doubt there is much in this world that WAS
perfect the first time  attempted.  Can it be improved?  No doubt.  And I also
have
no doubt that it will  be, but overall, I think it is a very positive step in
encouraging folks to  participate and just plain have fun with their dogs.  I
Am curious as to why some folks would say it didnâ??t attract any  new people.
I watched a young man  who obviously had not had a lot of ring experience win
something that he will  remember forever.  Iâ??m sure I had  been attending
some show previously, but I am equally as sure he had never been  given the
opportunity to competitively go in the ring with other people on about  the
same
level.  This young man may  now be hooked and hopefully will be a great
addition
to our ranks.  Even if he doesnâ??t, he will be speaking  about his experience
for a very long time to come and may attract someone else  to the sport.
After giving this entire process due thought this is my position  on the
areas that were questioned:
1.)     Can a dog be shown in both the regular  futurity/maturity and the
amateur futurity/maturity in one region?  Why not?  If someone wants to show in
the amateur,  why make them travel somewhere completely different?  A good dog
may be a good dog, but a win  on one day with a professional does not
guarantee a win on another day with an  amateur.
2.)     It didnâ??t achieve its intended purpose  of attracting new people.
Well gosh  darn.  Imagine all those thousands  and thousands of brand spanking
new GSD owners that didnâ??t race right out to  sign up their â??Brutusâ?? for
the
Amateur Futurity/Maturity.  Since it was the first time and most of  us old
timers werenâ??t even sure how it was going to work, perhaps the newbieâ??s
absence
is understandable.
3.)     I saw folk have the absolute time of  their life showing their dog in
spite of a 29* temperature and wind chills down  to 9*.  You wouldnâ??t have
been able  to wipe the smiles off their faces had the weather  closed down the
entire state with a  blizzard,
In retrospect, Rome wasnâ??t built in a day, and this program  should not be
judged a failure without a reasonable chance to be a success.  Stand back, draw
a deep breath, and  let the program develop and catch on.  My overall
impression of the Amateur Futurity/Maturity was that it is a  positive and
valuable
step in allowing a lot of people enjoy an activity with  their dog that
doesnâ??t
require a professional or even another person to handle,  just the desire to
have a ball with their best buddy in front of their friends.  I feel we would
be remiss in not  supporting this program and should continue to adjust and
develop it.
Lanalee Jorgensen
Futurity/Maturity Chair
Great Lakes  Region