[ SHOWGSD-L ] Golden Retriever Club Opposes PAWS

  • From: diane holliday <dlholliday@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 15:46:55 -0700

Some interesting wording on the GRCA letter to AKC.
I think they make some good points.

Diane Holliday
Scottsdale, AZ

This is the letter the Golden Retriever Club of America has written
to the  AKC.  Permission to pass on is granted.

Copies of this letter will also be sent to other involved parties.
Barbara Branstad, Sec'y, GRCA

Mr. Dennis Sprung
President and CEO
The American Kennel Club
280 Madison Avenue
New York, NY

Aug. 1, 2005

Dear Dennis,

Thank you for taking the time to talk with me about the PAWS
legislation. We certainly hope that AKC is sympathetic to the barrage of
emails and intense pressure being placed on our Board of Directors to
make an official stand against any legislation regulating the sale
and/or breeding of purebred dogs.

As I mentioned to you, we find the wording of the bill and even the
very concept of the bill troublesome.   I am certain that AKC also
has concerns based on Senator Santorum's past legislation and known
ties to animal "rights" groups.

As the legislation is currently written, the Golden Retriever Club of
America is unable to support this bill.  The GRCA feels that the time
has come for the Senator's office to present a printed, publicly
viewable, revised version of this legislation. In particular we would
like the following items addressed:

1.      The wording of the bill must be more accurate.  The double
negativeand the and/or clause is confusing and misleading.
Furthermore the wording does not identify the practice of co-
ownership or co-breeding,
common in the fancy.

2.      The bill attempts to group all sales together. Internet sales,
foreign sales and sales from volume breeders each have their individual
characteristics which do not fit nicely into one tidy category.

3.      Classifying all hobby breeders as "dealers", which is even in
the latest press release from the Senator's office, can potentially
create zoning issues in residential areas and put the true hobbyists
at risk for losing their homes.

4.      If you go with the 6/25 numbers it is entirely possible that
a breeder might meet the criteria one year but not the next.  That
would make him/her a dealer one year and a hobby breeder the next.
There is no provision for change of status in the current legislation.

5.      The protection of not-for-profit rescue groups and
organizations mustbe clearly spelled out and be without veiled
reference to re-homing dogs.

6.      The protection of the true hobby breeder must be clearly
spelled out and the extent of that protection defined.

   7.  The mechanism of enforcement must be disclosed.

   8.  The funding and Departmental responsibilities of the legislation
must be outlined.

We are sure AKC is communicating to us what you are being told but we
want additional assurance that you are not being purposefully misled by
the experienced and well-funded animal rights lobbyists who support
Senator Santorum. In other words, we know what Dr Holt and Bob Kane have
to say, now it's time to hear what Senator Santorum has to say.

It is our sincere hope that the AKC will accurately represent the parent
clubs and will withdraw their support of this legislation if there is
not significant change to its wording.

Sincerely,

Christine Miele
President,  The Golden Retriever Club of America