[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Getting the history

  • From: CODAGSD@xxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 19:21:12 EDT

In a message dated 8/3/2006 3:41:23 PM Central Standard Time,
Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> Most of the experienced people I'm with at ringside are involved with their
> own dogs--way too busy to discuss structure at that moment.
This was a problem for me just starting out. I was told not to bother people
when they were getting their dogs ready to show; then, of course, you don't
approach people when their dog is in the ring; then I was informed not to
interfere while pictures were being taken; finally, when people were packing up
go home, they were usually in a hurry to leave and there was no time.

All of this is understandable, but not helpful to newbies. Suggestion: there
are usually people - especially at Specialty shows - who are not showing dogs
that day, but have come to watch. These people may have more time to be
helpful.

Also, instead of asking questions like "Do you like this dog?" or "Is that a
good dog?", ask which shoulder opening (or back, or croup, or proportions,
etc.) in the class they think comes closest to the standard, then just watch
the
dogs in the class for a while and see if you can figure out for yourself why.
If not, then ask.

Sharon
CODA GERMAN SHEPHERDS