[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [Germanshepherds4Show] new parvo? canine flu? kennel cough?

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Barb <Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:51:19 -0400

   from Atlanta, and shared by Peggy

    I have been reading about the newly discovered influenza virus in
    dogs for several months now and it appears to me that the most
    significant point to hold in one's mind is that, being a recent
    mutation, 100% of canines are susceptible and this is the point that
    I made when I wrote this up for our parent club Health Times.
    Therefore any dog with a cough has to be suspect and should be
    essentially quarantined, though it is quickly apparent that this
    will be closing the barn door, in effect.  Once the dog has
    developed symptoms, other dogs around him are going to have been
    exposed.  And the second important point is to be on the lookout for
    extreme elevations of temp to indicate a possible secondary
    infection.  Beyond that, without a vaccine, there is not much to do
    but maintain good health to support the immune system.  Viral
    infections are usually self limited.