[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [Germanshepherds4Show] Re: losing clubs

  • From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DaList <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 07:48:27 -0800 (PST)

"happening to our clubs" makes it seem like the clubs had nothing to do with
it. If a club wants to attract members it needs to offer reasons for the
membership. Generally that means being open and supportive and willing to help
people enjoy the breed participating in the activity of their choice.
If a club does not have enough interested people then it really is not a club.
If it can't find a way to be relevant in today's situation, then maybe it is
not.
If indoor facilities are too expensive, what about outdoor? OK - you would need
to switch seasons, but it would enable you to hold shows. If you can't do it as
a free-standing specialty, can you team up with an all breed that will let you
have free rein over your part of the show? Can you join with specialty clubs
from other breeds and see about having a specialty cluster? Can you host
agility or rally events (all-breed/mixed breed) to raise money for your
specialty? Can you join up with 4-H clubs and get kids involved?

The sport of showing dogs is changing - and if we want to continue, we need to
change.

Ruth