[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [Germanshepherds4Show] RE: Article: A Genetic Engineered Food Disaster?

  • From: Iza Kabuska <izakabuska@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Paula Cooke <psharp212@xxxxxxx>, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Germanshepherds4Show@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 23:00:07 -0400

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA - Thanks, my dear sweet sister !  Best laugh I've had in days !
Iza Kabuska
http://www.karizmashepherds.com
  From: "Barbara Allen" <BarMarGSD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

<showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<GSD911@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<germanshepherds4show@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<amergsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Subject: [Germanshepherds4Show] Article: A Genetic Engineered Food
  Disaster?
  Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 21:18:55 -0400

  Largest Pet Food Recall Ever: A Genetic Engineered Food Disaster?
  a.. By Dr. Michael W. Fox
  April 5, 2007
  Straight to the Source

  I have received several letters from dog and cat owners thanking me for
  saving their animals lives because they were feeding them the kind of
  home-made diet that I have been advocating as a veterinarian for some years.
  These letters came after the largest pet food recall in the pet food
  industrys history.

  On March 23, the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets
  announced that rat poison in contaminated wheat gluten imported from China
  was responsible for the suffering and deaths of an as yet uncounted numbers
  of cats and dogs across North America. The poison is a chemical compound
  called aminopterin.

  Veterinary toxicologists with the ASPCA and American College of Internal
  Veterinary Medicine shared my concern that there may be some other food
  contaminant (s) in addition to the aminopterin that was sickening and
  killing many pets. Experts were not convinced that the finding of rat poison
  contamination was the end of the story.

  On March 30, the FDA reported finding a widely used compound called melamine
  (formed by dehydration of urea and used in the manufacture of plastics, as a
  wood resin adhesive, and in slow-release urea fertilizer), in the suspect
  pet foods. The FDA claims the melamine was the cause of an as yet uncounted
  number of cat and dog poisonings and deaths. The FDA could not find the rat
  poison, aminopterin, in the samples it analyzed; however a lab in Canada, at
  the University of Guelph, has confirmed the presence of rat poison. There
  may be other substances of a hazardous nature not yet discovered in these
  manufactured pet foods that include other ingredients considered unfit for
  human consumption, and from around the world.

  The Associated Press cited the Environmental Protection Agency as having
  identified melamine as a contaminant and byproduct of several pesticides,
  including cryomazine. People began to question if there is also pesticide
  contamination of the wheat gluten. Is there a possibility of deliberate
  contamination, or is it the result of gross mismanagement and lack of
  effective food-safety and quality controls that accounts for levels of
  melamine reported to be as high as 6.6% by the FDA in samples of the wheat
  gluten?

  A brief internet search quickly reveals that the widely used insect growth
  regulator cryomazine is not only made from melamine, but it also breaks down
  into melamine after ingestion by an animal. Wheat gluten is wheat gluten,
  fit for human consumption, so the question remains, what was wrong with this
  gluten that it was only bought for use in pet food?

  On April 3 Associated Press named the US importer as ChemNutra of Las Vegas,
  reporting that the company had recalled 873 tons of wheat gluten that had
  been shipped to three pet food makers and a single distributor who in turn
  supplies the pet food industry.

  What of the uncounted number of people whose cats and dogs became sick, and
  even died? Several letters that I have received indicate costs of in the
  thousands of $ per animal; and what of long-term care costs for animals
  suffering from chronic kidney disease?

  While Congressional hearings are now being called for by grieving pet
  owners, and class action suits put together, this debacle could have
  catastrophic consequences not only for conventional agribusiness, of which
  the pet food industry is a lucrative subsidiary, but also for the
  agricultural biotechnology industry, with its millions of acres of
  genetically engineered crops around the world.

  I reach this conclusion, until there is evidence to the contrary, for the
  following reasons:

  1. The wheat gluten imported from China was not for human consumption,
  because, I believe, it had been genetically engineered. The FDA has a wholly
  cavalier attitude toward feeding animals such frankenfoods but places some
  restrictions when human consumption is involved (yet refuses appropriate
  food labeling).

  2. The rat poison aminopterin is used in molecular biology as an
  anti-metabolite, folate antagonist, and in genetic engineering biotechnology
  as a genetic marker. This could account for its presence in this imported
  wheat gluten.

  3. The plastic, wood preservative, contaminant melamine, the parent chemical
  for a potent insecticide cyromazine, could well have been manufactured
  WITHIN the wheat plants themselves as a genetically engineered pesticide.
  This is much like the Bt. insecticidal poison present in most US commodity
  crops that go into animal feed.

  4.So called overexpression can occur when spliced genes that synthesize such
  chemicals become hyperactive inside the plant and result in potentially
  toxic plant tissues, lethal not just to meal worms and other crop pests, but
  to cats, dogs, birds, butterflies and other wildlife; and to their creators.
  (For details, see my book Killer Foods: What Scientists Do to Make Food
  Better is Not Always Best. Lyons Press, 2004).

  How else can one account for samples of pet food containing as much as 6%
  melamine? It was surely not mixed in such amounts when the wheat gluten was
  being processed, but rather was already in the wheat, along with the
  aminopterin genetic marker. My suspicion is that the FDA was aware that the
  gluten came from genetically engineered wheat that was considered safe for
  animal consumption.

  I could be wrong. But a greater wrong is surely for the pet food industry to
  use food ingredients and food and beverage industry by-products considered
  unfit for human consumption; to continue to do business without any adequate
  government oversight and inspection; and for government to give greater
  priority to agricultural biotechnology and the patenting of genetically
  engineered crops and animals, and not to organic, humane, ecologically sound
  and safe food production.

  I believe that there is evidence of gross negligence, not simply on the part
  of the pet food industry, but by all who are responsible for food quality
  and safety in the global market that is clearly dysfunctional. The Pet Food
  Institute should start an emergency fund to compensate all veterinary
  expenses incurred as a result of this---and any future---mass poisonings of
  peoples beloved animal companions.

  __._,_.___
  Messages in this topic (0) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
  Messages | Links | Database | Polls | Members
  Notice. forwarding of any information that appears on the German Shepherd 4
Show list is not allowed.

  Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to
Traditional
    a..  5New Members
  Visit Your Group
    a.. German shepherd dog breeders