[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [Germanshepherds4Show] Diamond Pet food recall announced Dec 20, 2005

  • From: BonJenShepherds@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 00:18:00 EST

In a message dated 12/20/2005 10:46:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
EastGSD@xxxxxxx writes:
Diamond Pet Food

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

December 20,  2005

Media Contact:

Mark Brinkman, Diamond Pet  Food

573/229-4203

Diamond Pet Food has discovered  aflatoxin in a product manufactured at our
facility in Gaston, South Carolina.  Aflatoxin is a naturally occurring toxic
chemical by-product from the growth  of the fungus Aspergillus flavus, on corn
and other crops.

Out of an abundance of caution, we have notified our distributors and
recommended they hold the sale of all Diamond Pet Food products formulated
with
corn that were produced out of our Gaston facility (see complete list  below).
Please note that products manufactured at our facilities in Meta,  Missouri and
Lathrop, California are not affected.  The Gaston facility  date codes are
unique from other Diamond facility codes in that either the  eleventh or
twelfth
character in the date code will be a capital â??Gâ?? (in  reference to Gaston).

The range of date codes being reviewed are â??Best  By 01-March-07â?? through
Best By â??11-June-07â??.  Diamondâ??s quantitative  analysis records
substantiate
that Diamondâ??s corn shipments were definitively  clear of aflatoxin after
December 10.  As such, â??Best By 11-June-07â?? date  codes or later are not
affected by
this notice.

States  serviced by our Gaston facility include Alabama, Connecticut,
Delaware,  Florida, Georgia, Kentucky (eastern), Main, Maryland, Massachusetts,

Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio,
Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, Vermont,
and
Virginia.

We are rapidly analyzing retained samples of  all products produced in Gaston
so we can isolate specific lot numbers  impacted and provide this information
to our distributors, retailers and  customers as quickly as possible.

Meanwhile, if your pet is  showing any symptoms of illness, including
sluggishness or lethargy combined  with a reluctance to eat, yellowish tint to
the
eyes and/or gums, and severe  or bloody diarrhea, please consult your
veterinarian  immediately.

Product quality and customer satisfaction are  important to us. We pledge to
keep you updated as new developments  occur.

Gaston Facility Products Removed From Sale

Diamond Low Fat Dog Food
Diamond Hi-Energy Dog Food
Diamond  Maintenance Dog Food
Diamond Performance Dog Food
Diamond Premium Adult  Dog Food
Diamond Puppy Food
Diamond Maintenance Cat Food
Diamond  Professional Cat Food
Country Value Puppy]
Country Value Adult  Dog
Country Value High Energy Dog
Country Value Adult Cat  Food
Professional Chicken & Rice Senior Dog Food
Professional  Reduced Fat Chicken & Rice Dog Food
Professional Adult Dog  Food
Professional Large-Breed Puppy Food
Professional Puppy  Food
Professional Reduced Fat Cat Food