[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSDCA Membership

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 13:05:32 EDT

In a message dated 6/13/2005 7:38:44 AM Central Standard Time,
WLFHRTGSD@xxxxxxx writes:
The  monetary amount of the dues is a very small price to pay (less than the
cost of one show) for the right to have a say in the breed.

---------------------------------------

Since my posts have suggested that growing the club should be a goal, I  hope
it is clear that I am all for success for the GSDCA.  In fact, I  believe
membership should double.   The fact is though, that people  are leaving.
Perhaps that isn't showing in numbers at this time, as the  losses would be
made up
with new membership.  However, it only takes a  glance at entry numbers at
specialty shows when compared to ten or twenty years  ago, to realize that
people
are actually leaving.

Asking what benefits we have from being GSDCA members is a valid  question.
Realize though, that while you and I may feel a need to be a  part of the
breed through being a part of the club, that is usually a  realization that
comes
after joining, and not as a reason for new people to  come in.  I don't have a
long list of ways to bring in new  membership.  I only see that it is
important.  Once strong clubs have  died from a lack of numbers and new
membership.
I've seen this first  hand.

Bringing in new people will take a lot more than offering them a vote in
GSDCA business, and so far I have been encouraged by the obvious concern some
folks, and especially some board members, have for this issue.  My  passion for
the breed should be obvious.  If passionate 25 year members  (minus ridiculous
continuity rules) are not renewing, what does that say?   Those folks will be
happy to hear that my dues are on the way.  However, I  will still be hoping
that the goal is to double membership eventually, and that  will take a lot of
good ideas.

Tom Langlitz