[ SHOWGSD-L ] GSD Ear genetics

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 17:16:57 EST

According to Humphrey and Warner, who studied GSDs extensively in the 1930s,
in the German Shepherd breed ... erect ears are dominant.  Other studies which
showed lop ears to be dominant were done with mixed breeds.  If there is a
specific gene for "lop" ears, I would question whether or not any purebred GSD
carries it.  If a Shepherd's ear does not come up, does that make him "lop
eared?"  There are other factors to consider where GSD ears are concerned.
Generally, when an ear doesn't come up, it is unusually thin or unusually
large.
I've also seen abnormally narrow ears fall, usually to one side or the other.
suspect that those ears were also supposed to be erect, but were influenced
by those other factors.
Also, I've read that when Dobermans (a lop eared breed) are bred to GSDs, not
all of the progeny will be lop eared.  This suggests that even with mixed
breeds, the lop ear is an incomplete dominant.

Tom Langlitz