[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fwd: Whites / Why DQ'd.

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 17:11:19 -0700

I never ever was told that so I just don't know that side....
Never heard they were deaf...never heard they were unhealthy...never heard
about them and sheep and they were never considered Stupid.  Mainly just
considered to be a serious fault that was being promoted by groups.
Much like we would feel if someone started a group of GSD with down ears.

They often showed up at shows and were even shown. I too NEVER saw an Albino
but I also never saw a white GSD with a black nose either. They were all a
brownish pink that we saw.  Also, they were all almost a dirty buff color.

Since the DQ  you see all black noses and a more clear clean white. IMO.
I really think their look and color and pigment has improved since the
DQ..as
have the Standard black and tans and sables and bi colors in depth of
pigment.
I think the DQ was a GOOD thing for that reason alone. Also No animosity
now!
Most wish them well and hope they develop into their own Breed and niche
in the dog world.   For the life of me I cannot understand why they would
rather be DQ'd than change the name a little.
We were not always "The German Shepherd Dog" .....

There never was any MAJOR specific outcry because of health that I heard.
( During that time I did know a breeder that swore all BLACKS were deaf!
)<G>
What we always heard was that breeders felt they were never part of the
Breed
Standard as a desirable....were nothing more than a "promoted" fault...and
they just wanted them DQ'd mainly to rid the Breed of them at that time.
They were showing up in litters unplanned and unexpected.  Not one breeder
we knew during that time was EVER happy with that.
Saw a lot of "miss" marked GSD during that time! LOTS of white on the dogs.
ALL over..the legs, the necks, tails, etc.  Seriously mismarked GSD's.
WAY beyond the norm of white spots on a chest. Show lines
I know whites are merely a black and tan or sable bi color that is masked.

BUT.. the mismarked pups were always in litters with whites in the pedigree.

Before anyone goes ballistic on me....consider this.
I readily admit I have no PhD in color genetics....but...
I suspect that the reason was...you simply CANNOT tell if a white IS
mismarked
or not BECAUSE of the masking gene.  You really don't know what color lies
under that white coat.   The Pandas always have some white in the
pedigree...
as do the champagne colors we see now, and the silver blues.
There HAS to be a reason.  These are not just livers and blues....and not
just a white spot on the chest with a white toe or two....

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

-----Original Message-----From: showgsd- sender "ELG440@xxxxxxx" for DMARC
Subject:  From: ELG440@xxxxxxx

In the early 60s, I was told a white shepherd had serious  health problems,
and seldom lived more than four years. I was told they were  all albinos,
all had heart trouble, and should be put down as soon as they  were born.
I found none of that to be true.
 The only reason I hear now is because it is a  disqualifying fault.  I
have yet to hear anyone give me a reason other  than, that is the way it is.

If anyone has a different answer, I am willing to  listen.

 Oh, yes.  I forgot some have told me that they  can be confused with the
sheep. I wonder about black sheep?  But, that is  now talking about my
relatives, so I will leave that for another  topic.

Evan

In a message dated 7/29/2014 4:20:18 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
ruttergsd@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

wonder  what the reason was for them to change to DQ.  who do you ask  that
was around then to find out? Must have been a good  reason.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html