[ SHOWGSD-L ] (Fwd) El Paso, TX, passes Title 7 Revisions

  • From: RihadinK9@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 00:33:02 EST

TX-RPOA E-News
From Responsible Pet Owners Alliance,
the reasonable  voice regarding animal issues in Texas.
Responsible Pet Owners Alliance is an  animal welfare organization,
not "animal rights" and, yes, there is a  difference.
Permission granted to crosspost.
Unfortunately the  legislation passed in El Paso will do nothing to lower the
number of animals  euthanized in their city.  We hope they will read the 5
pages of  successful proactive programs in other cities that we sent them
because this  legislation will not accomplish what is being claimed.

Mandatory  microchips will mean fewer animals will be vaccinated for Rabies
and  canvassing pet owners homes is gestapo tactics.  No one  buys
breeder/litter permits.
In addition, Title 7 states that:  "any  Officer is empowered ... to enter
any premises upon which an animal is kept  or harbored and demand the
exhibition, by the owner of a dog or a cat, of the  certificate of
vaccination, verification of microchip, and certificate of  registration for
such dog or cat."  What happens to their pets if the  family has no money to
pay for this?

RPOA has begun compiling a list  of "anti-pet" cities or counties in Texas
which will be posted on our web  site.  El Paso will be our first entry.
Send us your nominees for more  entries.

http://www.borderlandnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051214/NEWS/5121403
29/1001

City  passes tougher pet law

Darren Meritz
El Paso Times
Wednesday,  December 14, 2005

After weeks of intense debate about government's role  in pet ownership, the
City Council on Tuesday approved changes to the city's  animal control
ordinance aimed at curbing pet overpopulation and reducing  euthanasia.

In a 6-2 vote, council agreed to revise the animal control  ordinance for the
first time in more than 20 years. East-Valley city Rep.  Eddie Holguin and
East-Central city Rep. José Alexandro Lozano voted against  the ordinance
Tuesday.

A few El Pasoans spoke out against the  changes.

"I cannot stress more that this is about losing personal civil  liberties,"
said Roxanne Flores, owner of purebred spaniels and shelties.  "Yes,
something needs to be done about the high number of animals euthanized  in
our city, but bad legislation is not the answer."

The ordinance,  which will become law Jan. 1 but isn't expected to be fully
operational until  April 2006, will:

Require that pet owners through veterinarians microchip  their dogs, cats and
ferrets one year after a pet's most recent rabies  vaccination.

Regulate breeding by limiting a female dog or cat up to two  litters a year;
breeders will pay a $75 litter permit fee through Animal  Control.

Prohibit the ownership of wolf hybrids.

Allow officials  to canvass homes and neighborhoods to determine what
animal-control problems  persist and to educate pet owners.

More than a dozen El Pasoans appeared  before the council Tuesday to support
the changes.

"The fact is that  the revisions would toughen the existing regulations to
make all parties more  responsible for their pet's well- being," Dr. Tom
McCabe said. "We don't like  to have to pay for any of these things, but they
are necessary for the public  good."

Both Lozano and Holguin said the revamped ordinance curbs civil  liberties --
particularly because of canvassing -- and burdens pet owners  with exorbitant
fees.

"I don't agree with the practice of inspectors  going to your private
property just to see if you have any animals," Lozano  said. "All we're doing
is just charging people instead of finding a  solution."

Darren Meritz may be reached at dmeritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;  546-6127.

Ginger  Cleary, Rome, GA
a rumor flies around the world  while the truth is still putting it's shoes
on..
_http://www.rihadin.com_ (http://www.rihadin.com/)