[ SHOWGSD-L ] For Betty......."Do it anyway!"

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Showgsd-l' <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 12:14:01 -0400

Hi Betty: after reading for a few days about your mishap in the show
ring, I felt compelled to write something on your behalf. You received
many lovely and compassionate letters from some nice people on this
list. So instead of writing you another e-mail, I decided to send you a
writing I did a couple of years ago that I sent to this list. It's
called "Do it anyway." I hope you enjoy it. Barbara

DO IT ANYWAY

By

Barbara J. Galasso

When all those around you say you can’t do this or you can’t do that; do
it anyway.

When they point and stare and say your dog will not amount to anything
in the show ring; show him anyway.

When she keeps placing third or fourth in her class but you still like
her; keep her and breed her anyway.

When you finally have a dog that does win and he’s finished his
championship, there will be those who will say he was mediocre at best
and the only place he could win would be in an all-breed ring. Pick up
your blue ribbons and trophies and smile and say thank you anyway.

When you show your champion at the National in the Specials class and he
doesn’t win that Select title, know that that is just one judges opinion
and bring him back next year and show him again anyway.

And if you do show him again the following year and he still doesn’t
win, know that that again is just another judge’s opinion. Many a great
one was overlooked one year and then the next year too and then the next
judge’s opinion can change history. Take him home and love him anyway.

When you are disappointed that your dog didn’t make high in trial, keep
on practicing. Know that practice makes perfect, but maybe not this
time. Keep on practicing anyway.

When you want to hold an office or be a board member of your club and
you’ve just about volunteered yourself out, and you’re still overlooked;
don’t give up, volunteer again. Someone sooner or later will recognize
your efforts and will vote for you anyway.

If you ever decide you want to become a judge and you meet all the
qualifications needed to do so, do it for no other reason than because
you love the breed. Don’t do it to please anyone else, or to put up your
friends or your bloodlines. Do it because it pleases you and know you
won’t always win the popularity vote, but do it anyway.

And when you’re tired and weary, beat down and bruised by all the
naysayers who wag their tongues relentlessly, don’t you give up. No sir,
you pick yourself up and brush yourself off. Get up on your feet, with
head held high……..go ahead let a little smile escape from the corners of
your mouth if you want……..and then turn and look them straight in the
eye and do it anyway!