[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: February Letter to the Editor

  • From: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 15:53:36 +0000 (UTC)

I loved having the IT and TT done right on showgrounds where dogs/owners can
attend and then go right indoors to the show or out to performance.  However,
as a temperament test evaluator I would make one suggestion....... the two
committees need to coordinate the events -TT and IT.  I saw several dogs who
came directly from herding into the TT.  Its not really ... well fair is not
the right word to the dog.  Lets see..... take a green dog into herding and
have a stranger with a big stick slamming the ground and shaking it at the dog
driving him back off the sheep.... possibly making contact with the dog if he
gets too aggressive and the owner backing up the trainer.  THEN walk them
into the TT a few mi8nutes later and have a stranger with a big stick slamming
the ground and shaking at the dog tring to intimidate him into backing down
or coming forward.  Whats a dog to do???????  He just got corrected for
being too aggressive by a stranger.  Think thats fair?  Or even a proper
evaluation of the dog's 'natural' behavior?

This is not an official position from the TT committee in any way shape or
form.... just my personal opinion from the perspective of someone who trains in
herding AND is an evaluator........

We need to coordinate these two events and not have them going on at the same

Suzanne