[ SHOWGSD-L ] FW: How to Help After Katrina

  • From: "Diane Roberts" <dianeroberts.gsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:51:11 -0400

To all interested in helping our GSD's after Hurricane Katrina.

I am Diane Roberts, a long time list member.  As most of you know, I operate
Tampa Bay German Shepherd Rescue.  My operations during the hurricanes of
last year as well as Andrew in the early '90s has given me some insight into
the issues that will face the breed rescues in the impacted area as well as
the surrounding areas.

The New Orleans GSD Rescue, Inc (501C-3) has evacuated all their dogs but
until they know if they will have homes themselves when this is over they
can't do anything.  I will be in contact with them and keep the list
updated.

New Orleans German Shepherd Rescue

New Orleans, LA

Email: adoption@xxxxxxxxx

www.nogsr.org <outbind://52/www.nogsr.org>

They are already asking for long term foster homes (they have been the
godsend for the FL hurricanes as I have been able to keep families together
with their GSD's).  New Orleans GSD Rescue works with the local Animal
Controls, Humane Societies and SPCA's which have evacuated their animals to
surrounding states (mostly TX) but will fill up rapidly.

After much experience in 2004 with the Hurricanes in Florida there are
certain things that will happen.

AKC set up food distribution from Iams, Purina, Pedigree and Science Diet to
the animal shelters, emergency animal shelters and emergency shelters for
owners and rescues to be able to pick up.  They also brought in water
(standing water will be a mix of salt and fresh) and medical care.

Iams has a tractor trailer medical unit as does some of the Humane Societies
and SPCA's and they set up their animal MASH units (when I was volunteering
we saw horses, cattle, sheep, birds, reptiles, bovine besides cats and
dogs). These units and the first food runs showed up within hours of the
Hurricanes.

FL has the FL Association of Kennel Clubs which was involved before the rain
stopped, I do not know if there is an organization like that there.  They
brought in vets and vet supplies, food (donated from the manufactures),
water and animal supplies.  Crates and portable kennels were in high demand.

The animals left behind by owners normally come out of hiding in the 2 to 5
days from the Hurricane when hunger overtakes the fear.  These pets need
medical care for dehydration, mal-nourishment and injuries from debris.  The
second rush of pets is when the owners get back home and find out the level
of damage to their homes and can not stay in their home.  They are at a loss
of what to do, most temporary housing, hotels and even friends and family do
not allow or can not handle the pets along with the family. They take their
pets to the shelters as the family and kids are first and pets are second
(do not think bad of them if your house has been destroyed and you have
nowhere to live your priorities change).  The third rush of pets to shelters
are in the 2nd and 3rd month after the Hurricane when they still can not get
the repairs done to their homes and are not allowed to return to them and
move away to try and get their lives together (there are still many homes
that are not rebuilt from last years Hurricanes or were condemned and the
new homes are still not built).

This is where the rescues and foster homes come in to play.  I let all local
shelters know that I have foster homes ready and waiting for the families
that did not want to give their pets up but had nowhere for them to go.

The dogs will need medical care; we vaccinated every dog, heartworm tested,
wormed and got them a vet exam before placing them in long term foster homes
and supplied the flea preventative, heartworm preventative, food, crates,
etc.  This is all a money drain on the rescues.  Most owners do not have
funds to make donations for their animals care.

Most foster homes took over the day to day expenses on the dogs once they
were settled in to the homes.  This is the one time we go against the rule
of no foster homes know the owners and have had many friendships formed from
the months of care these dogs received.  It was 10 months for the last long
term foster to go back to their owner from Hurricane Charley in Aug 2004.

Everyone will want to help.  For most of us there will be little that we can
accomplish.  There will be a number of organizations that will attempt to
collect pet food and supplies to send into the effected areas.  During
Andrew and the 4 hurricanes last year, much of this food was spoiled and was
thrown out.  The best thing is monetary donations as money is easily
distributed and will not spoil.

The effected rescues will know, once they are home, what vets, foster homes,
shelters, and other resources are still available to them.  Lets wait until
we hear from them what their specific needs are before we start collecting
supplies to send into the area.

Also remember this Hurricane will not only affect the area it makes land
fall but the next 100 plus miles north and east from the winds and rain.

I will be in contact with as many of the GSD Rescues in Hurricane Katrina's
path and the American German Shepherd Rescues Association, Inc will be there
to help with funds and are accepting donations now.

Please mark your donations for HURRICANE ASSISTANCE.

Please make donations payable to the AGSRA, Inc.

Send your checks to:

Shirley Briggs O'Brien

6565 Buena Vista Dr.

Magalia, CA 95954

Diane Roberts

Tampa Bay German Shepherd Rescue

www.tampabaygsdrescue.org <outbind://52/www.tampabaygsdrescue.org>

tampabaygermanshepherdrescue@xxxxxxxxxxx

American German Shepherd Rescue Assoc, Inc.

www.agsra.com <outbind://52/www.agsra.com>