[ SHOWGSD-L ] Eukanuba/breed booth/herding (long)

  • From: Binderhaus@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 01:16:41 EST

I was at the Eukanuba show on Saturday with my 9 year old GSD  "Bala".  We
had been invited to represent the GSD in the herding  demo.  Although I'd
been invited both days, I could only attend on Sat, so  down we drove to Long
Beach in the pouring rain.  Once there, we wandered  around the booths, and
of course ended up at the German Shepherd Dog breed  booth!  Sheryl wasn't
there right when I got there, but came later.   Carol was there tho, and
greeted me.  The booth was very nice, but Bala  decided it needed her help for
while, so we stayed at the booth for about 45  minutes while she helped
meet/greet the crowd, and invite everyone to come and  see her during the
herding demo that was to take place from 2-3 pm.  Bala  is a certified therapy
dog as well, and charmed everyone.  I think everyone  was glad to see an older
dog looking so young and healthy as well.
        Later we took our leave to go  and participate in the herding demo.
 As luck would have it, this was the  ONLY venue that was outside and it
chose 2 pm exactly to start raining.   Not sprinkling, but raining!  After
having the AKC herding secretary  explain what each of the various herding
breeds were designed for, we started  the herding demo on geese.  Bala has
mostly worked sheep, but has done  ducks once, and never before has seen a
goose.
 I noted upon arrival that  the fencing surrounding our 'arena' had at
least a one foot gap at the bottom as  well....
           The geese were  nice and calm, and were very nicely worked by a
Rottweiler, a ACD, a Belgian  Terv, a Belgian sheepdog, both Corgis
(Cardigan and Pembroke), and then  Bala.  Bala is not overly fond of the rain,
but
she did a nice job  of demonstrating both flanks, stops, walkups, etc.  Then
they  decided to put the geese into an exercise pen in the middle of the
arena so the  beginner dogs could instinct test without getting to the geese.
The  herding instructors border collie was the ONLY dog of the day to get
too strong  with the geese and in trying to get them into the x-pen, first one
goose, then  two, and then 3 of the 5 popped under the fence and took off
down the  causeway!
                Bala and I were huddled under the overhang, trying to not
get more drenched, so  I quickly unleashed her, and sent her off after the
errant geese.  I heard  the announcer talking about "a real herding
application"!  Bala quickly  turned the geese back, and with the help of a
couple of
other herders and their  dogs we marched them all back to the pen safely.
After the beginner dogs  went, our announcer decided to have the ACD and the
Pembroke go again, and then  called for Bala for one last demo.  She said
Bala could herd the geese back  into their crate!  At this point the skies
really opened and a downpour  started.  The geese were at the far end of the
arena.  I just told  Bala to go get them, she shook the water out of her eyes,
and proceeded solo  down the arena to bring the geese back to the crate at
which point the humans  had to stuff them in as the geese LIKED the rain!
LOL.
             At  this point I, at least, was drenched to the bone.  I
would've liked to  spend more time helping at the GSD booth and watching the
show, but decided I'd  better call it a day and dry off in the car.  However I
had a lot of fun,  and as the show will be held in Long Beach again next
year, will be happy to  help with the booth both days next year, and possibly
the herding again as  well!

                 Final score:  GSD's 2, geese 1, Border Collie 0!!!

Cynthia Binder DVM
Binderhaus Shepherds