[ SHOWGSD-L ] Enzadent Chews - vs. Greenies

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 00:09:22 -0500

Re:  Greenies             Several months ago I came on the List and
asked people what treats they gave their dogs, many people recommended
to me the product "Greenies".  I've used them ever since and my "Amber"
loves them and she's never had a problem with them.  They are very
expensive also.  But I still bought them for her thinking they were good
for cleaning her teeth and it was a "healthy" treat for her.  When I
went to the National this year, an old and dear friend of mine shared
our hotel room together.  (Lorraine Cohen - she owns the 2nd. Select
bitch - Annie).  She was nice, she bought a little gift for my Amber - a
little stuffed toy and also gave her some of Annie's treats.  They're
called Enzadent Chews.  They looked like rawhide strips.  I told her "oh
I don't give my dogs rawhide because I don't want them getting mussy and
stuck in their throat".  She reassured me that this would not be the
case with this product.  She told me they were good for the health of
the teeth and that when they bite into these, they only come off in
little pieces.  Lorraine is married to a veterinarian and also works in
an office for veterinarians herself.  She told me she can't tell me the
number of times, that they had to do operations on dogs who came into
their office who had the greenies lodged in their intestines.  So here I
sit with the expensive Greenies I bought Amber, but I will not give them
to her anymore.  She loved the Enzadent Chews that Lorraine gave her and
she told me that you can buy them in some vet's offices. (She lives in
Oregon, so I don't know if they sell them in other states as well).
She didn't know that some Vet supply companies also sell them on the
internet.  I just ordered them this afternoon.  They too are expensive,
but only because of the shipping, otherwise they'd be reasonable.  Check
to see if your Vet carries them first.  If Lorraine reads this, perhaps
she can tell you a bit more about them.  Anybody else use them now?
Best wishes,  Barbara Galasso