[ SHOWGSD-L ] EVEN MORE DETAILS ON THE NEW GRAND CHAMPION AWARD

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 19:31:50 EDT

In a message dated 5/7/10 12:55:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Someone  e-mail the GSDCA AOE Select Excellent Committee, and ASK for an
explanation of  the new AKC Grand Champion title!!

I think I have it figured out. Dick Jennings, Jennarick  Kennels,  worked
with me on it.  It seems you can give out two Grand Champion awards  to up to
two dogs and two bitches that are shown under you, and are  champions.
That is a total of four.

I can't see why a judge would not give out four, since any eligible dog or
bitch is already a champion?  I guess if the dog or bitch were not good
enough to go BOB or BOS, then you would not give the award. But, if they were
good enough to win, and had no major faults, they would or should get the
Grand  Champion points.  Of course, if they had major faults why are they
finished?

It is going to be interesting to see how this goes.  I think it starts  in
a week or two.  I hope I have some champions entered under me so that I  can
see how I feel when it comes time to consider it. I also realize we need to
 change our proceedure.

If you put a dog to Best of Breed, all the other male champions would
normally leave the ring.  But, now you have to keep them to see if you  are
going to give someone a Grand Champion point.  Also, if you put a bitch  up to
BOB or BOS, the other bitch champions have to hang around. So, the way we
used to do it, Best of Breed, Best of Winners, Best Opposite Sex, now will
require a decision on Grand Champion points, so no one should leave the  ring.

I think that falls under  the theory of unintended  consequences.

Evan  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament  come together