[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Dog Owners took a big hit today in Virginia

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Carolyn <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:59:32 -0500

The Virginia Veterinary Association backed it...along with the Virginia
Federation of Dog Clubs and Breeders.
    Don't ask me why...I couldn't explain it in a million years.  At
first the vets were against it...they didn't want the paperwork.
However, I think the little change that gets them each $2 for every dog
they report on must have made the difference...that and the fact that it
will be their clerical staffs that do the paperwork, not the vets
themselves!   As for the Federation, that is completely
unexplainable.........while there are a lot of people "at the top" of
the Federation who haven't had dogs themselves in years, I just can't
figure out how they didn't see all that's wrong with this Bill...
    Not to mention that all the clubs that belong to the Federation
chipped in $250 each to pay for a professional lobbyist to lobby against
this Bill, and he hasn't bothered to even attend the hearings...and the
Federation doesn't seem to care!
    Of my two vets, one is against the bill, the other doesn't care too
much one way or the other.
       Well, I think we can see down this road....first it was just SBL,
and now Louisville with the no intact dogs law, and that new horror
proposed in Missouri...........and this.............
    I don't think I'm being a reactionary to say that the end of dog
ownership and breeding is in sight here in the good old USA.  We can
fight all we want, and write letters, send faxes, make phone calls, and
talk until we're blue in the face...we can't beat the big bucks behind
all this legislation, and I really, really believe that.
    I've lost friends because I'm always trying to rally exhibitors to
stand together and fight these bad bills, and people are SICK TO DEATH
of hearing it.  Nobody believes it is going to happen to them.   RALEEF
notwithstanding, all it is to me right now is a "feel good" thing we can
do to think we are doing battle.
    We're not battling...we're spitting into the wind.
       Until we have millions of dollars in our bank account and
celebrities on our side, we're fighting a lost cause.
    Just look at Denver, with one of the worst SBL packages in the
country, and all the bull breeds were there supporting the shows this
Peggy