[ SHOWGSD-L ] Different opinions about the Review

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 19:11:56 -0500

I've read the different opinions about the Review from two GSD lists
tonight.  Everyone has and is entitled to their opinion.  So here's mine
for whatever that's worth.  I disagree with it all and always have.  I
do not blame the Review for being small because of the computer, or the
time of the year because it's the holidays, or the mail is slow.   Its
for one reason and one reason only (IMO again), and that's the untimely
matter that it is published.  We are making excuses for something that
CAN and SHOULD be corrected.

If you do a search on Yahoo for instance (which I just did before I
wrote this) and put the word "German Shepherd" in, it will pull up
7,300,000 web sites.  If you do a word search with "German Shepherd Dog"
in, it will pull up 4,710,000 web sites.  Of course, not every single
one of those web sites are breeders, but many, many are.  Now are you
telling me that the average person (or even one who can sit at the
computer for 12-15 hours a day), will have the time or the inclination
to go through all those breeders web sites? And then once they pull up
those web sites, do you think people want to read pages and pages of
that site?   Click here for "studs, click here for "bitches, click her
for "puppies", and on and on.  I'm not saying this is not a useful tool
for advertising ones kennel (my brother just bought me my own domain for
Christmas), but do you see how time consuming this is?

Now on the other hand if you know a particular kennel you are looking
for, then you can type in their name to view their web site.  Even then,
it's time consuming.  Believe me, I've been on each and everyone of your
sites that advertise on the GSDCA or the GSD Lists.  It takes a very
long time to look at it all.  How about those people who are not on
these lists, or those who don't use a computer?  This is all excellent
for the pet puppy buyer.  Many of you have made excellent sales this
way.  However, if I'm looking to buy a show dog or breeding animal, I
don't want to have to go through all of this for hours and hours.
Fortunately, I know many of the kennels whose dogs I like, but their are
others I do not.

IMO, the Review has always been and I will hope it will continue to be a
quick reference to look at someone's ad without having to click to a
dozen pages to look at their whole kennel.   Then if someone sees your
ad and they like what they see, they can then look up your web page to
look at your dogs.  I want the Review to come in every month on time
like it used to do also.  It has been allowed to continue like this for
a long time, so I do not blame Gail for the whole responsibility of
this.  She has her superiors that she has to answer to, and if they
didn't do anything about this before, than the blame does not fall fully
on her.  Hopefully that's why we elected new officers to take care of
problems that were let go for far too long.  Popularity should have
nothing to do with serviceability.

Other dog magazines continue to have people advertise in their magazines
throughout the holidays.  These advertisers also have their own web
sites.  Their magazines are not losing advertisers and many of these
magazines are also on the web.  So the problem as I see it and said in
the beginning of this e-mail, is one thing only.............the untimely
manner in which the Review is sent out.  Don't these other magazines use
the same postal service that our magazine uses?

May I add, Gail announced in the Review a couple of months ago that she
is ill.  God bless her and let's pray she gets well again.  I have
offered my help to her several times and I heard that others did also.
So many people have asked me why haven't I submitted some of my writings
to Gail to publish in the Review.  Rest assured being a GSDCA member,
this was my first choice and this is exactly what I did.  I wasn't taken
up on any of my offers, so I assume Gail feels she'll be able to do this
on her own.  I pray she can.  I took my work to other publications and
they thought enough of it to publish it, so as a writer, I'm happy with
that.   One of the reasons that I voted the way I did this year was how
each of the candidates answered my questions about how they intended to
fix the Review situation.  Now the new officers take over next month.
Let's give them time to live up to their campaign promises.  I trust
they will do everything in their power to bring some peace and harmony
to the "restless natives"!  Best wishes,  Barbara
Galasso                    p.s.  And no, I didn't get my November issue yet!