[ SHOWGSD-L ] DM tests - Clemmons Vs. OFA

  • From: Kay Springer <showgsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 19:57:33 -0700

I think there is some confusion when people talk about having the DM
test done years ago and that those dogs that were diagnosed free of DM
actually came down with DM so today's DM tests are not valid.  I did
the DM test years ago that was with Dr. Clemmons at the University of
Florida as that was the only test available. The two dogs I tested
came back as being positive for DM.  I put them both on the protocol
that Dr. Clemmons recommended as Dr. Goldfarb mentioned in an earlier
post. One was put down at 12 and not sure if it was DM or spondylosis
but he could not longer get up.  The other one died at 12 1/2 at  of a
sudden burst tumor on her spleen due to a miss diagnosis at an
emergency vet.   She never showed any signs of DM.  I think it has
pretty much been determined that the test at the U of F with Dr.
Clemmons was not reliable.
The  current OFA test is not the same as the Clemmons test and I
don't think we can say that the Clemmons test didn't prove viable so
the OFA one is not viable.  I just want to point out that the tests
were very different from what I have read.

I have tested Strider as he is being used frequently and I do get
asked if I have done the test on him.  I was happy that he came back
clear or normal.  What other breeders decide to do regarding the
reliability of the test is up to them and how they run their breeding
program.  I know that many tests do not guarantee that there will be
no health issues.  I learned that early on when I bred an OFA
excellent to an OFA good and clear elbows on both and 3 generations of
OFA in the pedigree.  Ended up with the pick bitch having bad hips and
bad elbows.

Right now, the OFA DM test is the only thing we have so I have decided
to use it.  If something better comes along in the future and I have a
stud dog or a breeding bitch I will do that test.  I just want to do
whatever tests are available as they related to the health of my dogs.

What other people choose to do is up to them but don't be critical of
those who do choose to run available tests.

Kay Springer
www.showboatgsd.com
Home of Multi BISS & Multi Group Winning
GCh. Rohan's Reward TC,CGC,HT,RE,CDX,CHIC (h,e,h,t) DM Normal
"Strider" 83 BOBs - #5 & #6 GSD 2009