[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Closed Session

  • From: RFWFORGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 16:10:35 EST

Please see comments.
Dick
+++++++++++++++
In a message dated 2/9/2007 12:10:44 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
`Dick:  please correct me if I'm wrong...but the motion calling for
an Executive Session does not have to be made to the membership, only to
the Board...is that right?  In which case, the membership at large  would
not know that the Board meeting was going to be  such.
Yes, according to RORN  it should be a motion  made at a Regular Session of
the Board. If the topic was listed on the agenda,  and published before the
meeting, all Board Members, but not necessarily the  membership would be aware.

However...if this was scheduled as a usual Board  Meeting, meaning
that members and guests could be present, then the  Motion, Second, and
affirmative vote (of the Board) would have to be made  in the hearing of
all attendees.  Am I correct in  this?
Yes.  The motion, second and Vote would be in open  (Regular) Session. A
'closed session' is called an "Executive Session in  RONR.

Before people start going off half  cocked about this, please set
us straight.  Then, anyone who was in  attendance can tell us, without
threat of lawsuit or other reaction, when  and where the Motion was made,
etc.  Only then will we be sure  whether this was an Executive Session
held in accord with the  by-laws.
Yes, if it was called into session correctly, someone  in attendence should
be able to tell us.

All of this is according to my understanding of Roberts  Rules (RONR).  The
10th edition is 704 pages, so It's possible I am missing  something. If so, I
hope someone will give us the reference for correction.

Thanks..
Peggy