[ SHOWGSD-L ] Cesar Millan and Last Chance for Animals on National Geographic LONG

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 09:17:21 -0700

For your information....
Stormy
Cesar Millan and Last Chance for Animals on National Geographic Chan

As was noted in an earlier posting, Cesar Millan is teaming up with Last
Chance for Animals for a show touted by National Geographic as Dog
Whisperer: Inside Puppy Mills on Friday May 8. (CA residents, do you
suppose that the cancelling and rescheduling of the Senate
Appropriations
Committee hearing on SB 250 was related to the airing of this show? It's
not hard to believe.)

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Last Chance for Animals,
check out
their Web site. This organization is clearly an extreme "Animal Rights"
organization and is proud of it. Below are some clips with
self-descriptions of the LCA.

http://www.lcanimal.org/about.htm

"Last Chance for Animals (LCA) recognizes that animals have the
ability to
experience pain, and as such they deserve certain basic rights
protecting
them from pain caused by humans. LCA believes that non-human animals
should
not be subjected to suffering and exploitation by humans because
alternatives exist for nearly every traditional "usage" of animals.

LCA opposes the use of animals for scientific curiosity, entertainment,
clothing, and food. LCA recognizes the use of non-human animals in
medical
experimentation as both immoral and of questionable scientific
validity due
to the tremendous biological difference between species. LCA's work
advocates conscious and informed lifestyle decisions, and the
organization
is committed to disseminating truthful information about societal animal
abuse to improve the treatment of animals."

"Using "Direct Action," LCA activists engaged in peaceful protest with
determined resolve . . . to make sure their voices would be heard. When
direct action was still a new concept in the American animal rights
movement, every well-planned demonstration achieved tremendous media
coverage. By the late 1980s, LCA was earning a national reputation for
its
no-nonsense approach to exposing animal cruelty. Though dozens of
activists
faced arrest and some even faced extended jail time for charges such as
trespassing, LCA is proud that its direct action protests have never
caused
injury to a person who was not voluntarily involved (i.e., some
activists
themselves were injured due to being forcefully ejected from the
protest)."

You should also know that the founder of LCA, Chris DeRose and his
wife take
salaries of $106,000 (per 2007 Form 990) from the organization.

Here's how they describe what they do:

http://www.millanfoundation.org/html/hero_lca.php

"Typically, when we begin an investigation, the first thing we'll do is
determine whether or not there's a case at all. We don't usually go
after
the smaller domestic cases; those are for animal control. We have
addressed
those cases on occasion, but we don't aggressively seek them out. We go
after the larger offenders where the major violations are, and we do the
work that other organizations don't or can't do. We do the dangerous
stuff.
We do the stuff that takes a long time. There's no money in it, but it
makes a major difference."

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS SHOW?

With the LCA's stated opposition for traditional "usage" of animals,
even if
a balanced portrait of animal breeding were presented in this show,
the LCA
scores another opportunity to exploit cruelty to animals for their own
fund
raising purposes. The LCA's participation in any balanced presentation
is
disingenuous at best. Essentially, the achievement of LCA's goals
would put
Cesar Milan and his sponsor PETCO out of business.

It's a war and participants can not be on both sides. Honda flinched
when
we alerted them of the danger to their business from an association
with the
HSUS. The danger from the LCA should be even clearer.

Here's who I plan to contact with an "expose" of the LCA:

National Geographic Society
Development Office
1145 17th Street NW
Washington, DC 20036
Email: <mailto:givinginfo@xxxxxxx> givinginfo@xxxxxxx
(800) 373 1717 (U.S. and Canada only) - TEL
(202) 862 8638 - TEL
(202) 429-5709 - FAX

The National Geographic Channel also has a "contact us" page:
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/contact

PETCO Animal Supplies, Inc.
9125 Rehco Road
San Diego, CA 92121
(858) 453-7845 - TEL
Dave Bolen, Executive Vice President and Chief Merchandising Officer
Elisabeth Charles, Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer

Here's PETCO's contact page and number:
<http://www.petco.com/content/contactsubtopic.aspx?PC=contactcompany&nav#
top>
http://www.petco.com/content/contactsubtopic.aspx?PC=contactcompany&nav#t
op (888) 824-7257

Contact Cesar Millan using his contact page:
http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/contact/index.php

I going to hit the exposé trail hard.

Chuck Bridges
Déjà Vu Chow Chows