[ SHOWGSD-L ] Cancer Swabs

  • From: MORGAN LEWIS <shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd showlist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 06:43:12 -0800 (PST)

I want tho THANK each and everyone of you that has offered to have your dogs
SWABBED fr this Research. Our goal was 500 GSD's which we have easily met. The
swabs will be shipped to you in 2 weeks. I may have a few left over (intended
for SHOWS) so if anyone else would like some please e-mail quantity and
address. Once again THANKS.

Also emember in the future, IF one of your dogs cmes down with one of these
Cancers, they would like a sample and blood. please keep this info for future
reference.

Dr. Froman writes:

"I'm writing to ask for support from practitioners - the Van Andel
Research Institute in Michigan is the recipient of a National Cancer
Institute Go! Grant to study cancer in canines and humans.  The
initial focus is on five main tumor types (canine only at this point):

1)      Osteosarcoma

2)      Hemangiosarcoma

3)      Lymphoma

4)      Malignant histiocytosis

5)      Melanoma (oral or digital)

We are asking for submissions of *FRESH* tumor samples (not in
formalin) and 3-5 mls of blood in an EDTA tube, along with a signed
owner consent form.  If the dog has already had the mass removed, and
there is a histologically confirmed diagnosis of one of the above
tumor types, we would be pleased to receive a blood sample. All
submissions must include the signed consent form and histo
report  confirming the diagnosis.  With advance notice, we can
overnight a tumor collection kit to your practice.

The Van Andel is a world class human cancer research institute.  We
are very hopeful these studies will lead to earlier diagnostics, as
well as improved and individualized therapies for both dogs and people.

http://www.vai.org/

Morgan and His Angels
Precious, OFA
Princess, CGC, TDI, GSDCA Health Award