[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: California anti-tethering bill SB 1578

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: windwych@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:24:44 EDT

It's always important to see both sides of an issue.   Following Dawn's post
are some opposing arguements.   I think the most telling is that from the
Governor's Planning and REsearch Office, that last sentence.   Just FYI.
Stormy

In a message dated 8/22/06 12:16:29 PM, windwych@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> Residents of California take note! Please support this bill that limits or
> ends tethering in California. Tethered animals are the largest cause of
> maulings in children. As we all know, a chained dog is not a fullfilled dog
> and is
> usually territorial. We need to get behind this bill, as it will help all of
> those animals chained in backyards and forgotten. Dawn Restuccia
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tethering is also allowed when it is part of a licensed activity, which
satisfied concerns from hunters. But the bill's supporters have been unable to
quell the opposition of farmers and ranchers, who say the bill's provisions are
too restrictive.

"There are times when farmers and ranchers need to tie up their working dogs
for the safety of the animal, and a three-hour time limit doesn't always fit
the farm or ranch," said Noelle Cremers with the California Farm Bureau.
Cremers said they are still working to try to find a satisfactory resolution.

Also opposed to the bill is Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's Office of Planning
and Research. The office's letter of opposition states that the bill is
unnecessary because "current animal abuse and aggressive dog laws adequately
protect
animals and the public, as well as punish perpetrators."

The letter also says the lack of clear standards could lead to discriminatory
enforcement, meaning dog owners could be cited or arrested based on "the
dog's breed or the owner's race, social class or location."

Stormy Hope
UPDATED 2/11/06....CHECK IT OUT!!!!
www.FairhopeGSD.com