[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: C-Section

  • From: Ann Mariano <brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 14:20:52 -0700 (PDT)

I agree, of course since I have had two c-sections myself, and could have
chanced a natural delivery but was told that natural bitrth after puts you at
high risk for your uterus rupturing, no thank you.  So I chose c-section when I
delivered my own kids after having my first wemergency c-section as well.

That said, I think having a natural birth after a c-section with a bitch is
dependent on why she had the c-section the first place, and how many pups were
delivered.

In this case, the vet said the uterus was thin, and stretched to the max and
was not contracting properly to have the pups even line up into the birth
canal.  Her uterus was overloaded with 11 pups, all good size. Puppies were
detaching, and we had a black discharge and waited four hours for her body to
kick in to deliver pups.  Xray and ultrasound confirmed the pups did not line
up like they shuld so even giving her a shot of oxy would not help get pups out
since they weren't even be in the right spot to move out.  The vet said due to
the thinness of the uterus, and it being so stretched out, and it not working
properly to even try to get the pups out she recommended not breeding her
again, since next time we may not be so lucky t have so many live pups.  She
said she could be wrong, but based on what she saw of her uterus this is her
recommendation, or schedule a c-section if we must breed her again since she
can see a repeat of this happening
 all over again.

This is a vet who does c-sections regualarly with several bulldog breeders in
the area, so I doubt this is her normal recommendation.

Of course, she may be wrong.  I have only had one c-section before this, and
that was with one dead pup left in the uterus, so my knowledge is limited but
for me as Ed knows, I do not feel comfortable but it will be interesting to see
what other people have seen in a situation similar to the one we just had with
our girl here sicne this is a first for me.
Ann Marie
www.amarigsd.com
Home of
Ch Fairway's Leah v Nadelwald TC ROM OFA
Ch Amari's Beware of Foxy Roxy CGC TC OFA
Amari's Elizabeth Taylor (Major pointed/Best in Show Bred-By winner)
Breeder/Owner of
R/Best in Futurity Ch Amari's Ava Gardner TC OFA
Ch Amari's Bandit of Broadcreek OFA (Multiple Group Placer)
Amari's Blissfull Jazz CGC TDI (Major pointed)
Amari's Cinderella von Hornberger (Ch pointed)
Amari's Chances Are (Ch pointed)
Amari's Ella Enchanted (Ch pointed @ 7 months/Major Reserve @ 11 months)