[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Board Elections & 'reason'

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Jen Proud'" <proudk911@xxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 17:18:45 -0700

These people VOLUNTEER their time for the GSDC of America!! They are not
responsible for
every single little issue we want better within the Breed, the Conformation
ring, herding arena
and whether or not our dogs are owner handled & trained nor can they change the
personalities
and interests of those in conformation or working venue. All of that is our
own decisions and
actions.. ( THANK GOODNESS ) and we are all responsible for whatever the
results are.

The National alone takes up a great deal of their time and concerns...AND Club
moneys...and then
they 'work their buns off' AT the National during the whole week that we are
all there showing.
( if we can get a dog there ) <G>
Any problems with small entries in the shows or the Futurities or working venue
is on the exhibitors
and membership....and a sign of the times......not the fault of the Board. IMO.

* If we are afraid to step into the ring because there are top Handlers in the
ring...that is not the
problem of the Board! If we have an area where the Futurities are smaller
they cannot fix that.
* They CAN make big changes in the Futurities...or the National...or some of
the Awards....but lets
be careful in what we ask for!
* ARE the lower Futurity entries the ruination of the Breed or the Club?
NAW....
* IS a National in a site we don't LIKE more important than whether or not it
is ACCESSIBLE for everyone
coming in WITH DOGS?
* Do we REALLY need another Class for those who want to show with no handlers
to compete against??
* Is that really the Boards responsibility?
* Isn't it the DOGS the JUDGE needs to be concerned about? It should not
matter to you OR the Board
OR the Judge who is in that ring with you and your dog.
* ALL of us showing and winning ( or losing ) faced the same dilemma when we
started...and we made no
demands for a class of our own. Let's be as brave and strong as the Breed we
love....and if that is what
is important to you........GET TO IT! Almost everyone of us have....we just
can't always continue to do
that....and that makes the handlers a real Blessing to most of us who can't run
with a GSD anymore.
* The Board cannot develop a method to "retain" new members....it is the love
of the Breed that keeps us!

Can they be more open and communicative to the membership on every issue when
needed....IMO Yep!
Can they consider rotating Nationals to known sites that are easier to get to
with dogs...IMO Yep!
Can they leave our Standard alone .... unless there is a huge outcry to change
our Breed...IMO Yep!
Can they develop new Awards or change requirements.....sure .... if necessary.
Can they work on better Public Relations and Education for our Breed.....I HOPE
SO....but it's not easy.
Can they quit with most of the closed sessions.....AND list who voted and
how..... I SURE HOPE SO.
Can they solve all our problems and bring about World Peace........NAW.......<G>

Carolyn marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

On Behalf Of Stormy V. Hope To: Jen Proud; <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Board Elections

Now I need people to go through all submissions and pick out a couple three
from each (if possible) of the ones you think are MOST important :-)

Don’t make me do the deciding, because then I’ll be picking out the ones *I*
find most important… not a consensus <G>

see below Jen’s reply…and count Jen’s in, too.

Storm

On Aug 8, 2015, at 11:16 AM, Jen Proud <proudk911@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ok, that I'm chained to my bed for the weekend (and then some), here's my top
questions:

#1) Do you dare to dance to the beat of the best interests for the dogs'
drummings, even if it goes against the popular opinion?
#2) Do you believe in full disclosure to the general membership? If so, how
would you achieve that? If not, why?
#3) What would you do with regards to public education to improve the face of
our breed? For example, many think GSDs have such horrible hips; yet the
statistics through OFA show we're #40 on the "bad list" (and we're no where
near the worst of the bunch through PennHIP either);
#3a) Though the GSD has consistently ranked in the top 3 in AKC registrations
for many years, show numbers are abysmal. How would you improve that?
#4) How would you both attract AND RETAIN new members to the GSDCA?
#4a) What would you do in attempt to make this a more inclusive, owner-handled
breed? This is a major complaint, that people can't afford the pros, there are
not enough to go around, etc, etc, etc... With the amount of GSD owners, and
silent GSDCA members, that should not be, should it?
#5) Do you have any ideas to close the gap between the performance & the
conformation rings? If so, what?
#6) Location, Location, Location! How would you approach the rotating
national?
#6a) Should the rotation be done away with due to the difficulties of air
travel to many locations? Why?
#7) How do you plan to increase the participation at the Futurities?
#8) Many other breeds/clubs have open-reporting genetics projects available
for breeding better dogs. Does the GSDCA need to sponsor one? If so, what is
your plan? If not, why?
#9) Do you think that it should be mandatory for Junior Showmanship should be
offered at every single GSDCA event?

I'll stop there as that's technically more than 10

Respectfully submitted,

Jen P & her Pack... yes we're house pets first

On Sat, Aug 8, 2015 at 11:54 AM, Stormy V. Hope <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Now some of you responded. The next step is for each of you (there are over
2000 members here.. maybe 2500!), to go through this list and take a couple,
three of those that you think are most important and post them to the list.
It’s YOU that want to know about the candidates, so you need to help here <G>
(and Yes, I did that and I’ll post mine after I get some response on the list
<G>) We are going to submit 10 to them, so let’s get the best ones out there!

Storm

Do you believe the membership's wishes of having the national rotated should be
granted?

Do you understand the difficulty or have tried to fly dogs to any national? (or
anywhere??)

Would you agree to have only 1 person be YOUR spokesperson on the board?
(explanation: you send a message to the whole board posing a question and
only 1 answers you because that is the current boards instructions)

Do you think the breed standard needs to be changed?

What would be your most important proposal to help relife the futurity system?
2.
1) How do you feel the GSDCA can bring in and support new members?

2) What strategies would you use to help unite the show and IPO segments of our
breed so that they continue to support each other and even cross over into each
other's worlds? For example, creating an award or initiative for show dogs who
acquire a BH/IPO and BH/IPO dogs who acquire conformation points.

3) Do you think there should be more of an emphasis on Amateur owners being
able to show their own dogs successfully (not every owner is incapable of
running)? If so, what programs would you support to help that goal?

4) Do you think the PAM requirements should be revisited to include other
training (not instinct) based performance avenues such as nosework?

5) Do you think the concept of the total German shepherd is being promoted by
the club?

6) Do you think the time has come to open back up the Victor/Victrix titles to
white shepherds? Why or why not?

7) Do you think there is too much of an emphasis on side gait in the
conformation ring at the expense of other traits? If so, what are your
recommendations to solve this problem?

8) Do you think all dogs competing for a Select rating should hold a TC? Why or
why not?

9) Do you think the AOE should require a performance title that involves the
dog to compete in a performance class other than rally novice?

10) Do you think there should be more programs that support the health of our
breed such as the creation of a GSDCA database regarding health issues like
allergies, GI issues, seizures, etc and the bloodlines that produce them?

3.Question #1: Why do you want to run for office?
Question#2: What experience and credentials do you have that qualifies you for
office?
Question#3: Are you an introvert or extrovert?
Question#4: Are you a leader or follower.
Question#5: Will you have an open or closed door policy if elected?
Question#6: Will you maintain a transparent position while in office.
Question#7: What is the most important change you would make if elected?
Question#8: Will you support the Legislative Committee
Question#9: Do you believe individual and family membership dues should be
increased?
Question#10: Do you agree on how funds are being spent and verified.

4.where is April 2015 minutes
where is the 2014 profit loss expense statements for 2014 national
why are none of the reports for the July b o d put on the members web site
u want more

5.Might add:
* What is your feeling on 'closed sessions' for Board decisions that are NOT
listed in the By Laws
or P & P Manual as privacy issues? Also more accountability on who voted how?

* Do you see a possibility of more open information to the membership regarding
Board decisions
and changes much sooner, via the internet or posting on the web site?
Possibly even a quick preview of the Agenda BEFORE the meetings being made
accessible to
the members?
* Do you have any suggestions or ideas on how to promote better P.R. for our
Breed and
National and breeder/exhibitors?
* Do you have any thoughts or plans on how to make our "NATIONAL" more
accessible to
every single exhibitor across the Country EVERY single year..........with a
dog? <G>
* Do you believe we have a great Breed Standard as it is or do you want to make
changes
for ANY reason?
* Do you have plans to have LESS Futurity Regions.....rather than allow the
Clubs that want to
Host the Futurities continue to do so with the current 9 Regions?

--
Committed to the Total Dog You can be Proud of!!! JayDee's Proud-Haus
Shepherds/Proud K911 <http://www.jaydeesphs.com/>

Donate to the German Shepherd Dog Youth Recognition Fund!
<http://www.gsyrfund.com/>
Educating the world about the health and genetics of our magnificent dogs: the
White Shepherd Genetics Project, Inc. a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation
<http://www.wsgenetics.com/>

Stormy V. Hope