[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Bloat question..and info on Giardia..Canine Health

  • From: Ginialtman@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 16:11:44 EDT

I have not had a dog with bloat. I have been using Prozyme for years and
years --at least 20+ years anyway.  I have dogs that are related to other  dogs
that have had bloat (my dogs of course have a different dam)
I have often wondered if my use of Prozyme has anything to do with
preventing bloat--especially after reading the post about compressed kibble and
 the
dramatic increase in bloat.  If you have ever used Prozyme you will  know that
if you put it into the kibble and soak the kibble in water that  it isn't long
before the kibble is broken down to near liquid. I usually  feed before it
gets to that point, but I am sure that the Prozyme benefits  digestion.

I wonder if anyone else uses Prozyme faithfully over time and what their
experience is with any incidence of bloat in their animals??

I have had more than my share of giardia too--but that did not precipitate
bloat in any of my dogs.

Regarding Giardia, I have written articles for the Quarterly,  the  Gazette,
and the WDA Newsletter on Giardia and my research showed that  Panacur
(Fenbendazole) is more effective (95% effective)  than  Metronidazole (only 65%
effective) and while Albendazole (Valbazen) is  also effective (??%) it is also
more toxic and can be toxic to bone  marrow.  I have also found the Giardiavax
vaccine to be effective in  finally eliminating the giardia from my dogs.  Most
vets "poo poo" the use  of the vaccine and even I do not recommend it in
routine vaccination. But if you  have a problem with chronic giardia and
especially
if you have litter after  litter that acquires Giardia from your own
environment, it can be a valuable  adjunct to treatment and finally eliminating
it.
Most vets just say "it doesn't  work" because they heard that from vet school
or
the vaccine protocols--you  might have to "insist" --like my sister
did--before her vet condescended to give  it to her boxer--which then finally
turned
the corner to getting rid of a case  of chronic episodic diarrhea due to
giardia!

Ginny Altman

"Please let me be as kind,  intelligent, and wonderful as my dog thinks I
am."

Home.