[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Being careful with a litter of pups

  • From: JANGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: jokaysedona@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 19:20:44 EDT

Hi,

That is routine for me.  I am the bleach queen!!!  LOL!  I  find it is
easier to bleach your shoes and the inside of the van as you get into  it from
the show.  I always carry a bleach/water bottle and after the  weekend we
bleach the luggage as it goes in, lightly bleach the seats and the  floors and
then us as we get into the van.  Weird huh?  But if you  have ever brought
Parvo back on your clothing or shoes and lost babies because  of that, it
really isn't that weird.  Never had Parvo again until I did my  "rescue" thing
and we adopted a Papillon from a shelter.  We bleached like  crazy when we
got her out of the shelter (she was a dog, not a puppy) but  unfortunately 4
days after we adopted her, she got sick, on a weekend of course  and we took
her into the vet on Monday and he diagnosed Parvo.  I turned 10  shades of
white.  One I didn't want to loose this sweet girl, but  unfortunately we
did, I had 5 acres to bleach and I am getting too old to do  this, but bleach
I did, but the driveway and the house (3 levels).  Took me  2 days and when
you bleach you have to make sure you don't go from an area that  is not
bleached into a bleached area or you re contaminate it.  I had a  bitch
pregnant, so I was very, very upset.  Luckily the bleach did the  trick and all
puppies were fine.  I hope NEVER to have to do that  again.  If you adopt,
check
out the shelters, the one that we adopted from  was terrible, they never
quarantined the dogs, just ran them thru there like a  puppy mill.  Funny,
knew of that shelter for years and thought that they  were ok.  Boy was I
wrong.

Janet
_www.JanMarGsd.com_ (http://www.janmargsd.com/)
_www.PetsNaturalChoyce.com_ (http://www.petsnaturalchoyce.com/)
"An Online catalog featuring all-natural herbal and homeopathic  remedies
for pets and the people who love them."

In a message dated 5/28/2010 5:13:35 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
jokaysedona@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

When I  had a couple of litters I didn't want to miss some obedience trials
with  my other two shepherds. It was scary all of the stories trying to
keep
every precaution in mind as possible to protect the babies. We bleached
our
shoes & everything when coming back to the house. I prepared for
everything
I could think of before we trialed. Changed clothes, bleached  shoes before
we entered the vehicle/bagged clothes & did everything  possible. Wow was
that a lot of work but whatever [sigh] I even made  people take off their
shoes & wash their hands when they came later to  see the pups. Everything
turned out okay for me. So I guess it was worth  all of the extra work. I
probably took my chances when I took my litters  to the vet for their first
check. My vet never seemed to worry about that.  But then there were other
things he did later on he shouldn't have done  either. I guess I was just
lucky some times. Koda's  Kathy

Hi,

I wouldn't trust that at all.  If she doesn't  bleach before she gets  into
her car to go home from work, she has  contaminated her van/car.  Then
anyone who puts their foot down on  that part of the carpet is
contaminated.
brought home Parvo on  my feet from a dear friend's  house.  I was only
there
for 15  min, didn't have any dogs, but she had  Parvo (she didn't know it)
and  I brought it home to my house.  Ever since  then I take no chances  a
bleach and make every dog person bleach before they  enter my  house.  That
includes puppy  buyers!

Janet
_www.JanMarGsd.com_  (http://www.janmargsd.com/)
_www.PetsNaturalChoyce.com_  (http://www.petsnaturalchoyce.com/)
"An Online catalog featuring  all-natural herbal and homeopathic  remedies
for pets and the people  who love them."

In a message dated 5/28/2010 9:10:22 A.M. Central  Daylight Time,
Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx writes:

Oh we've thought of  that...my vet wears her "house shoes" when she comes
at 6 weeks and not her  work shoes!

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations of  Dual Titled TC'd  Champions

visit  _http://www.pinehillgsds.com/_ (http://www.pinehillgsds.com/)

In a  message dated 5/28/2010 9:43:21 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
JANGSD@xxxxxxx  writes:

As for  picking up diseases, it a vet comes to your home,  you would have to

have him bleach his shoes, etc before he walks in  your home, so he could
just as  easily bring parvo, etc to your   litter.

POST  is Copyrighted 2010.  All material remains the property of the

For assistance,  please contact the List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org