[ SHOWGSD-L ] Ballots, Ted Kennedy and Rescue

  • From: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 21:09:26 EDT

I got my GSDCA ballot today; it made me think of something said during Ted
Kennedyâ??s memorial service.  One of the Priests made reference to those
who, once having competed, were able to turn the competition into cooperation
and work together for the betterment of the group as a whole.  When I heard
 that, I thought of my rescue, Lilly; she is the first rescue I have kept
of the  100 plus GSD fosters I have taken in over the years.  My having found
 Lilly, less than 24 hours before euthanization at a southern Illinois kill
 shelter, was the result of exactly the kind of cooperation to which the
Priest  referred.  All rescues compete for the few disposable dollars left out
 there in the economy but we are all there to help each other when there is
an  animal in need.

Cooperation and communication are the keys to any groupâ??s ability to
function smoothly and make progress.  THAT thought brought me back to my
ballot.
 I saw a list of names.  Each person behind each name  obviously and, for
reasons only they truly know, has a desire to help govern the  GSDCA .
Elections are a wonderful part of the democratic process but what  about AFTER
the election?  I think we all want leadership that is  â??qualifiedâ?? in their
knowledge and love of the German Shepherd Dog and expect  nothing less.  But
what about the daily grind of being an Officer or  Director? Do we want
individuals governing our organization who may be bullied  or threatened,
(whether real or perceived), into voting a certain way on matters  such as the
puppy transporterâ??s membership debacle a few years ago?  Or do  we want those
who will vote the way the membership EXPECTS them to vote as their
representatives, to do what is best for the Club and the Membership and remain
true
to and have the courage of their convictions, no matter what the  threat(s)?
 There are 2 individuals running for election who were among the  8 that
DID vote NO on that infamous membership application.  I believe that  they
deserve our support as much as I believe that the YES voters who are  running
do not.  Itâ??s a matter of, as Ralph Roberts loves to say, â??Records  live,
opinions die.â??

Back to the â??communicationâ?? issue, something that has been a bone of
contention within the GSDCA membership for quite some time.  The question I
have to ask myself is HOW do I want to communicate with someone who, in theory,
 represents me in an organization? The obvious answer is openly, factually
and  with mutual respect and acceptance of disagreements.  We certainly do
NOT  need anyone on the Board, in any capacity, whose answer to an opposing
viewpoint  is to publicly spew vitriolic ever-so-present innuendo and
unfounded accusations  at the individual(s) who might disagree with their
position.
 Board members  need to listen to the membership and be willing to discuss
issues in a calm, not  hostile, manner. They also need to  protect the
cohesiveness of both the  GSDCA and its mission and never act in a way that is
divisive or contradictory  to those theories upon which the GSDCA was founded.
The very idea that ANY of 17  individuals who sought to divide the GSDCA,
in whatever manner they could and  under the guise of selflessness, seek
office disturbs me no end, especially  since there obviously has been no change
in the(ir) continuing desire to disrupt  debate and convolute issues.  That
does not bode well for an organization  whose members are clamoring for
better communication with their Board.

We have choices to make; I really hope we make them  well.

Diane, who doesnâ??t, (as someone has suggested), â??thriveâ?? on controversy
but, rather, on full disclosure and civilized debate

Diane  Silver-Strasser
Silstra German Shepherds
_http://skatiebugz.blogspot.com_ (http://skatiebugz.blogspot.com/)