[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Backyard breeders whose definition?

  • From: Anne Utter <rautt75@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CDRHVN@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 07:49:52 -0400

OK, then what is a "HOBBY" breeder?
I don't equate a 'backyard' (BYB) to a puppy mill that puts out mega puppies
irregardless of quality or quantity to sell or even hoard. But I may equate a
BYB to someone who breeds maybe only a few times indiscriminately, not thinking
about anything other than "Do you have a dog I can breed my Fifi to?"
What most of you have been mentioning, I would call a "Hobby" breeder.
This is Not a commercial breeder that is licensed etc. Though in some areas,
maybe a Hobby breeder has to be licensed. To me a Hobby breeder is those who
check pedigrees, health, breed carefully a few litters, sell on contract or at
least carefully, have the purpose of improving the breed.
Anne, GA

Sent from Anne's iPad

On Jul 16, 2015, at 11:48 PM, (Redacted sender "CDRHVN@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

OK, this may perk up the list a little. What is a backyard breeder?

1. Is it someone who happens to have an AKC dog and breeds it to someone
else's dog who also has AKC papers without any research or knowledge of the
breed?.

2. Someone who does not breed to the AKC standard for their breed?

3. How about more than one litter a year? (5,10,or more)

4. Is it someone who keeps their dogs in little cages and/ or inhumane
conditions?

5.Oh, someone who is breeding to make money (or trying to)? No interest in
learning about their breed.

6. The kids want a new puppy or a dog "just like the old one".

7.Or someone who keeps their dogs in kennels?

8. Raises litter after litter selling to anyone who has the price of the
puppy/dog.

My first German shepherd was given to me by a nice German lady. It was
AKC and had some nice dogs in it's pedigree. Betty Winthers dogs, Ann Mesdag
dogs(Harrigan),etc . I had always dreamed of having a litter so I thought I
would contact a breeder before I bred my dog. I was lucky and found someone
who became my mentor. My first litter ( Ch.sired) I kept 2 females and the
breeder talked me into showing them. I took a 1st and 2nd in their class.
That was 40 years ago.

I think anyone who breeds their FIRST litter is a BREEDER! Good or bad.
Backyard or not !! What ever you want to call them. It is what you do FROM
THERE that will make you a good and responsible breeder

To me the name backyard breeder is different from the puppy mills.
Brenda Piele