[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Answers from AKC

  • From: Crossroadsgsd@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:47:41 EDT

This was just sent to me by a Bull Mastiff breeder
1) The  default on a dog application is Full registration privileges.
If a breeder  wishes to limit breeding and showing privileges for a
puppy, he or she must  indicate as such by darkening the "limited"
box on the individual dog  application.

The only change AKC has made in regards to limited is to  ask
breeders to "darken the limited box" instead of "checking  the
limited box" if limited registration is requested. Full
registration  remains the default (no breeder action necessary)  on
applications.

2) Since 2004, AKC has encouraged the use of our  Online Litter and
Online Dog Registration systems. These optional online  services
provide fast turnaround on applications and are very popular  among
breeders.

In the next few weeks, AKC plans to launch  enhancements to the
Online Dog Registration system. Using a code printed on  their dog's
application, new puppy buyers will be able to register  online
without the help of the breeder.
This is an improvement from the  existing version of Online Dogs,
which requires the breeder to complete  part of the online dog
registration process for the puppy buyer.

An  additional code on the dog application will allow the new owner
to indicate  whether or not the breeder has given the dog full
registration privileges.  This code will be printed in the "limited"
registration box on the dog  application. If the breeder darkens the
box, the code will not be visible,  the registrant will not be able
to enter the code online, and the dog will  receive "limited"
registration status.

The new codes will ensure the  breeder's wishes are honored while
making theregistration process more  convenient for the puppy owner.

3) Before launching enhancements to the  Online Dog Registration
system, AKC wanted to make sure changes to the dog  application and
online dog registra tion system worked well for our  breeders and
puppy owners. To test the system, AKC issued a limited number  of new
dog application forms containing the online registration codes.  This
is the reason some puppy registrants have received forms with  codes
while others have received forms without codes. Those  puppy
registrants receiving forms with codes during the test period  have
been able to the new version of Online Dogs.

This test has  allowed us to make the system as easy to use as
possible and address areas  of confusion (like the question about the
shading in the limited box--the  shading was added as a security
measure but our test has determined it is  not necessary). Those who
have registered online have given very positive  feedback about the
ease and speed of the online process.

We are  working hard to make the registration process as clear, quick
and easy for  you as possible. We appreciate any suggestions you
might have to improve  our online registration services.

4) Online Dog Registration serves as  an option for breeders and
puppy owners but does not change our paper  processing
systems. "Codes" are not required to register a dog. The new  PIN
numbers on applications simply provide the online  registration
option.

Cathleen Bennett
_www.crossroadsgsd.com_ (http://www.crossroadsgsd.com/)
We  have puppies