[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Another new topic

  • From: Jen Proud <proudk911@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Stormy V. Hope" <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 19:08:57 -0500

Well I am willing to help as I can if the AGSDRA were to want some...
(Hint hint)
Jen P & her Pack

On Tuesday, July 21, 2015, Stormy V. Hope <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It would be an excellent project for AGSRA to consider. It would give an
excellent idea of how many purebred GSDs are in the shelters and what areas
are most impacted. I know many GSDCA members work with local rehoming
groups, (they could helpAGSRA) but to get a good handle on just where the
main influx of the GSDs are entering the shelters would also help
increasing education and outreach in those area.

http://gsdca.org/german-shepherd-dogs/breed-rescue
www.agsra.com
Stormy Hope

On Jul 19, 2015, at 9:34 PM, Jen Proud <proudk911@xxxxxxxxx
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','proudk911@xxxxxxxxx');>> wrote:

I almost fell over when I read PBs in shelters were in the range of 5% of
all dogs!
The Wrongists would have you believe it's at least 25%-- or one in every
four dogs!
I know some people who work more specifically with the white coated dogs,
but they do share region to region and to national rescue. I will see if
any facts & figures can't be compiled based on their numbers and see what
we get. I wonder if they would proportionately reflect what goes on with
the "regular" GSDs based on proportion of colors to whites coats?

JP&P

On Sunday, July 19, 2015, Stormy V. Hope <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','stormy435@xxxxxxxxx');>> wrote:

I was just reading about another breed who was seriously tracking their
breed coming in shelters. They were joining with rehoming groups
throughout a few states and monitoring their breed as they were listed in
the shelters, working to get them out, cooperating with rehoming groups to
find the best fit for the dogs, ignoring (or at least overlooking) the
different requirements of the different groups in order to move the dog.

This was another very popular breed.

I was wondering if our GSD rehoming groups work that well together,
keeping count of the purebred GSDs in shelters, working together to get
them out, giving a good tracking of how many were in the shelters, how many
were owner reclaimed, how many returned to shelters, how many ended up
euthanized, how many were successfully placed. This breed did not track
them beyond placing, except to not any returns to shelters.

I would think that would be a valuable project. This came up after the
NAIA Shelter project that found that across the country, there might be
variances in purebred dogs in shelters, but overall there it was found to
be 5%, a much lower number than has been touted by animal rights groups and
rehoming groups.

Storm

Stormy V. Hope

JayDee's Proud-Haus Shepherds/Proud K911 Canine Consulting
Committed to the Total Dog you can be Proud of!!!
www.jaydeesphs.com

Support the next generation's stewards in the sport of dogs... Donate to
the German Shepherd Dog Youth Recognition Fund!
www.dogshowjuniors.com