[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Another judge's question

  • From: Cynthia VanDenBerge <vande001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Show GSD List <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 14:08:14 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Helen, and good for Melanie!  It is nice to read that a judge wants to
give a dog a fair chance.  How many novice handlers stress over the fact that
their beautifully stacked dog will most likely move on the mouth exam, thus
ruining a good pose!  Obviously Melanie wants to keep the dog in pose as long
as possible to get a nice look...I like that!  Now, novice handlers, get
practicing for those judges who will make it harder for you...lol  Cynthia
VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx wrote:   I thought I'd print this out from the Judges List so
you can see what this
all breed judge has to say and my answer-- Helen Miller Fisher

In a message dated 4/26/2007 10:56:50 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
Sheltiejudge@xxxxxxx writes:
have a question for those that judge German Shepherds or other breeds that

need a complete mouth exam. I am having a problem with some of the
exhibits
showing me the mouths.

My ring procedure is: once they go around the ring I then have each
exhibitor bring the dog half way out to me and then I approach the dog for
the temperament test. After doing the entire class this way, I go back
doing my individual examination and movement of each dog. My problem comes
in that
when I approach the dog for the individual exam, I first have the handler
show
me the bite and the mouth. Many dogs will fight this and then the
handler has
to reset the dog up for the examination. Do any of you have a better
method of checking the mouth? Would it be acceptable to check the mouth
after
the body examination?

Melanie Williams

First Thank you for doing a correct temperament test-we appreciate that and
want it done . Re the teeth exam. Most GSD handlers are very good at
showing
the complete mouth. I'm sorry you are having trouble. But doing the body
exam
first and then the teeth is just as good, whatever works for you. I'm going
to post your post and my answer to the GSD List if you don't mind. Helen
Miller Fisher #0664

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.