[ SHOWGSD-L ] Airlines & nationals... Board Meetings

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bnbgsds2000@xxxxxxxxx>, <vande001@xxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 16:15:14 -0700

I think we are on the verge of losing another airline that takes dogs.
Not losing it exactly......but things will change radically.
United is trying to buy out Continental and it is looking like it will succeed
at this point.
Lately we have used Continental about three times as much as United or Delta
when shipping a dog
by itself .......because it is considerably cheaper without the restrictions.
Shipping a dog with you ........is cheaper with Delta and United as they still
use somewhat of an excess
baggage rate where Continental charges full fare.   But a dog or puppy by
itself....Continental has been
the absolute best airline to use.
Either way......flights and schedules will surely change and prices will surely
go higher as United will have
a huge monopoly.....
Frontier as I understand it has gone bankrupt and was bought by Republic
airlines??
Alaskan now has 'deals'  with American and United and Delta that they don't
infringe in their areas....?
( less choices for us )
Things are changing rapidly and probably radically soon if this merger takes
place..    I sure hope our
Board is cognizant of that as they look at a national site in New Jersey
......using the airport in Philadelphia?
Three years from now things could change even more..... and I doubt for the
better.
Sure hope they all make the effort to see if they can get a dog into the site
themselves  in a # 500 crate
as they fly in to make those decisions for us!!    It's a simple way to know if
a site will work for dogscoming
in from all over the U.S.

If United does succeed in buying out Continental......Chicago as a possible
site  mentioned in the notes to us
is looking better and better.....as that is the main hub for United..........
I hate to be a 'harpie'.......<G>.......but if we lose our capabilities of
getting dogs into National sites....we lose
our major exhibitors as most of us bring our own dogs in ourselves instead of
sending with handlers......and .if
we lose our exhibitors....... we lose our the importance of the
National.......if we lose the prestige of the
National......the Parent Club loses it's own importance and prestige!!

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com

  From: David Fritsche <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  I use Constant Contact for a couple of email list I own and it costs me
$15.00 a month.
  This is a good idea. There were many times I went to board meetings with no
clue as to what our membership
  might think on a given subject, only to find out later there was a wealth of
information out there that would have been
  beneficial. A given board member does not have to listen or agree, but having
the input is worthwhile.

  This would be good! Dave
  > In a message dated 5/2/10 4:38:25 PM, texasgsds@xxxxxxxxx writes:>
  >> Would it be possible to have a tentative agenda sent to pc members via >>
constant comment prior to board
  meetings? It would give the membership a >> chance to voice their opinions
about topics before decisions are
  made >> instead>> of after the decision is made and it is too late.>>>> Danie

  > That's an excellent suggestion Danie. However, I believe that would cost>
us something for the service.
  When I worked at my Municipal Govt. office> we had to post the upcoming Board
meeting agenda and packet
  on our Village> website the Friday prior to the Monday Board meetings.   If
our Board > agendas> were posted
  behind the membership wall this would be a non-expense way to> give the
membership access and the opportunity