[ SHOWGSD-L ] Advice and suggestions needed

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:26:59 -0500

Hi All,
I have a student with a 20mos GSD.? He seems to be German lines but was
purchased over the internet so I have no clue about his background.? (I know!?
But, I didn't know this gal until she brought the dog to my class)

Anyway, this dog has had a history of digestive issues.? He had a bad bout of
Giardia as a pup.? He has always had loose stools since but all his tests come
out negative for Giardia.? About 3 weeks ago, he started having bloody
diarrhea.? It got so bad that he was pooping liquid blood.? She took him to the
vet where they ran all the blood tests and did x-rays and the whole nine
yards.? Nothing!? His blood levels were normal.? the fecal was negative and
there was no blockage.??They even checked for toxins in case he?was poisoned.?
Nothing.? They put him on antibiotics (Amoxicillin and Flagyl)? That worked
until he ran out.? Then, it started again.? Vet increased the Amoxy and this am
he pooped liquid, florescent yellow poop.? I think that was the Amoxy.? Anyway,
he was scoped at 10 mos for IBD and it was negative as well.? Anal glands are
ok and there does not seem to be ruptured capillaries from straining.??

The dog is on an ultra-premium, low allergen food, EaglePack holistic fish, and
she is now cooking for him.? She?gives him probiotics and digestive enzymes, to
no avail.? He had a TLI done for Exocrine Pancreatic Insuffiency done on?Sat.?
The results should be in tomorrow.? I have an EPI dog and the symptoms don't
fit.??

Any ideas on what to check for?

TYIA,

Laura Thomas???????????