[ SHOWGSD-L ] ALERT:Los Angeles CA Breed-Specific - Meeting 1-31-06<REPORT

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 23:24:51 EST

Fwd from BSl-updates@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ALERT:Los Angeles CA  Breed-Specific - Meeting 1-31-06<REPORT>

I just got home from Los Angeles where I attended the Los Angeles County
Board of Supervisors meeting, and got to hear first hand the reasons for the
proposal to require Rottweilers and Pit Bulls to be spayed and neutered.

There were 8 of us that came together to attend the meeting, and we were all
given three minutes to speak on the proposal, the board acted interested in
our opinions, and questioned some  further about some of our points.  And
one lady that was with us, that lives in Los Angeles County, was asked by
the board to get together with the Department that is putting the new law
together, to give her input, and to help write a bill we can all live with.

Even though some of the people that profess to be leading the fight to stop
BSL told everyone it was a waste of their time to attend the meeting, so
they stayed home, but 8 of us felt we wanted to be heard, and we feel we had
a very productive meeting.

The eight of us include 2 from San Bernardino County, one from Riverside
County and one from Kern County, the others were from Los Angeles County,
but we all worked together, and are trying to learn to take the BSL fight to
the politicians level, so we can be prepared when it comes to a County near
us.

Several of us spent Monday night on the phone deciding which part of the
proposed bill we would talk about, so that we did not waste our allotted
time talking about the samething.  So we were able to cover all of the
issues in the proposed bill, and get our points across.

All in all I think everyone did a great job, and each had a different
approach to the subject, and it was a good step in the right direction to
ask one of our group to sit in on the writing of the bill.

In my opinion it is never a waste of time to get involved, and of the 70
proposals that the board had on their agenda, the only one that had more
than one person to speak for or against was the dog proposal.  And two
people were there that both had relatives that had been seriously bitten by
a dog voiced their approval of a bill to put stricter laws on dogs, but
neither of them was infavor of it being BSL.  They, along with all of us,
were very much for spay/neuter of a dog that is a problem, but none of us
were infavor of all Pit Bulls and Rottweilers being spayed.

On February 15th there will be another supervisor meeting to introduce the
new legislation, if anyone is in the Los Angeles area, and has the time, it
would be great if we could fill the meeting room.

If you want to attend send me an e-mail and I will give you the details on
how to get there.  It is easy to get to the meeting place, and the parking
was expensive, but close, so it was not a bad trip.  The traffic can be a
bear, but this morning we made it from San Bernardino to Los Angeles in 1
hour 15 min.  Leaving home at 6:30, actually the traffic was not bad, and we
could use the car pool lane with 2 of us in the car.

Just remember, if these type laws come to you area, get out and go to any
meeting that you can.  It seems to make a bigger impact on the politicians
when they see a person, than it does when they receive a letter, or an
e-mail.  In the meeting today the Mayor said they had received many letters
and faxes, but none of them were read or entered into the minutes of the
meeting, but the live reports from the group there about the new legislation
were recorded into the minutes, so a live person has a big advantage.

Loren
Holly House Rottweilers.
Loren and Mary Chiever
Home of CH Gemstone's Arwen of Gawan