[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: AKC REP/LETTER FROM AKC

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <listmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'showgsd-l'" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx(List)>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 06:17:54 -0800

I would like to thank Christine and Barbara for pointing out exactly what I
would have pointed out had I had the time to put out a post.
Now that I have the time to write something, let me say this about that --
with all the "bildgewater" the AKC has had to deal with over the years from
GSD people, but most especially this year with rule violations at
futurities, issues with balloting and election(s), the Hunte issue and
related issues derived from that and of course the infamous lawsuit still
underway -- Can you imagine that complaining to anyone at the AKC is going
to result in a completely open mind when it comes to A) responding to
complaints by GSD people B) Believing the complaints C) wanting to do
anything about it for GSD people?

They are sick of us -- and frankly, I don't think I blame them.  Obviously I
wasn't at the shows in question -- however, I've been to a few various shows
where the behavior of shepherd people is often outrageous.  If there were
bells in evidence at these shows then SHAME ON YOU!  Good stinking grief,
it's an all-breed show!  First of all, you should be using more than one
sound to get your dog going, and if you intend on showing at All-Breeds, you
better make that sound INNOCUOUS.

I know a lady in our area that shows her animals very successfully.  She's
got her doubling down to an art -- her dogs show well, but, I highly doubt
any Rep will ever give her a bad time because... her doubling is so
INNOCUOUS, that who can tell it's really doubling?  Her dogs know -- she
knows, I know - anyone who knows doubling knows... but it's not offensive
and the rest of the rings wouldn't even know its happening.

Imagine this scenario if you will -- Like Christine says; the AKC makes the
GSD people the poster child for all that's wrong with the system.  And like
Judi wrote -- writes up a rule that clearly defines doubling and makes it a
HARD FAST RULE that anyone caught doing it will be under a suspension until
investigation, kicked from the grounds, or whatever they deem fit to make it
have some teeth.  Trust me -- I've shown in Canada plenty of times -- YOU DO
NOT WANT THIS!

If the people in question felt truly in need of vindication for this Rep's
apparent "abuse" Why didn't you file a misconduct complaint with the Bench
Show Committee and bring her up on charges?  They would have HAD to deal
with her per AKC's own rules.  Several complaints at the show might have
actually made some headway if this rep is wayward.  Not making the complaint
then, or like has been suggested -- call the cops AKC would have woken up on
that.  Not doing either of these things and moving onto complaints on a list
and emails flying in left and right -- doesn't add any credence to the
complaints or the complainers.  I agree the Rep shouldn't have put her hands
on you -- but I'm sure if you read the Rules Pertaining to Misconduct, you'd
have found reason to write her up.

Make it your New Years Resolution to 1) Read the AKC Code of Good
Sportsmanship 2) Read the German Shepherd Dog Standard 3x   3) Take the Time
to read the AKC Rules Pertaining to Dog Shows and Rules Pertaining to
Misconduct at Dog Shows 4) If you plan on showing at All Breed shows and
your dog "needs" doubling -- teach him/her 3 different INNOCOUS sounds to
accomplish it with -- and teach them to bait if they will.

Regards,

Kathaleen