[ SHOWGSD-L ] AKC Annual Judges fees--long

  • From: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 07:57:23 EDT

I don't know how many of you belong to a Judges Group,but mine sent  me a
Q&A POLL  to take online,and sent this email back to us,  Thought the List
might be interested. Helen Miller Fisher.
***********************

Date:       May 17,  2010
Subj:       Annual Judges  Fee
To:         ADSJ  Members
From:       Dr. Gerard C.  Penta
It is clear that the judging  community realizes just how self- defeating
these fees would be if they are ever  collected. Just as the AKC is
attempting to increase entries through the new  Grand Champion program, they
have
come up with new fees which will have the  opposite effect on entries.
These new fees will greatly  harm judges who do not judge frequently enough
to pass the expense on to the  clubs.  Many will quit judging.
In fact, the AKC anticipates  the loss of 1,000 judges over this issue.
The fees will be an added  burden to clubs who must, like the judges,
either absorb the expense or pass it  on to exhibitors. To pass it on will
invite
a further decline in entries. Faced  with either of these options, some
clubs may fold. I have not been told if the  AKC Board is also prepared to
accept the loss of a number of clubs as well as  their anticipated loss of
judges. In the end of course, the exhibitor will be  forced to pay a higher
entry
fee, which is particularly damaging to the dog show  world during these
critical economic times.  As I wrote in the last issue  of The Voice, â??In
essence, an annual judges fee is a way for the AKC Board to  conscript their
judges into service as AKC tax collectors.......this proposed  fee is most
disappointing because it is a sign of our confused response to the  challenge
of
falling registrations. Do we really believe that feeding upon  ourselves is
the best way to confront those forces aligned against us?â??   This latest
short-sighted action of the AKC Board of Directors, and the dire  financial
straights which prompted it, demonstrate a failure of this Board to  provide
the vision, creativity and leadership our sport so desperately  needs.
The ADSJ is exploring every  avenue available to us in an effort to avoid
the implementation of this  incredible AKC Board policy. Our Legal Advisory
Committee will be looking into  the legal ramifications of the new fees. We
are exploring the possibility of  taking joint action with DJAA on the issue.
Your survey responses are coming in  and they will be tabulated and become
a part of our presentation to the AKC at  our July 14th Liaison meeting. Our
ADSJ Board of Directors have decided to meet  July 21st and this will be
the main item on the agenda.
I understand, at the June  delegates meeting, Pat Laurans will make a
motion that the delegates request  that the AKC Board rescind this annual fee
for
judges.  This is exactly the  right first step.  If the vote is
overwhelmingly positive, this may  persuade, even this seemingly out-of-touch
AKC
Board, to change course quickly.  It is true that the Board could ignore such a
request, but if they do, the stage  would certainly be set for an
anti-incumbent movement. If you are a delegate, I  hope you will support
Patâ??s motion.
If you are not a delegate, please be sure  your club is aware of the
damaging consequences of these fees and ask your  delegate to vote in favor of
such
a motion.
In the meantime, you could  write to the AKC to express your concerns on
this matter. However, your letters  and e-mails should go to AKC Board
members. John Wade did not levy the fees nor  can he rescind them, only the AKC
Board can do that.