[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A Moo Too Many (Long Story)

  • From: Schattengsd@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 14:21:48 EDT

As many of you know I have been raising cattle for a few years as my
children did FFA projects in school.  We travel to some Jack Pot shows
throughout
the state as well.  It seems that I too have fallen for these  big Baby's so I
have decided that I will always have a few around as the  kids leave the nest.

About 10 years ago a family moved in next door.  They were soon known  as the
City Folks.  Through the years they have complained about every  neighbor's
animal of any type to either the Sheriff & Animal Control  and also loves to
write letters.  But it was just fine for his three cats  to go on others
property and get their animals barking and it was fine for his  roosters to
crow in
the early morning.

So now that this city family moved to the country and in the beautiful
valley of Sonoma it was time to grow grapes. They planted their back  acreage
with
grapes and where but two feet away from my fence which my Cows  and Donkey are
pastured.  It wasn't bad for the first year as the grapes  vines were short
and little.  But the next year they grew taller and of  course would branch out
over to the fence.  One year I caught his  mother-in-law and father-in-law
doing the pruning and feeding it my cows.   Well, my two cows, Mary and Lucy,
thought that was terrific so as the grapes  grew taller they always were pruned
by my girls. That year I hired  some workers to extend the fence higher so to
hopefully stop them from reaching  over.

We had words about his IN-LAWS giving the trimmings to the cows.  But  that
was fine by him....:(  Being the nice neighbor that I am I would  bring the
girls forward for the last 2 months before harvest so they wouldn't  eat the
vines. This has been going on for the last four years.

About three weeks ago the calls started again.  He complained that the  cows
were reaching over and trimmed the vines along the fence line. His  comment
also said that he had Prize Winning Grapes and that it was now a  business.  Of
course my first comment was....What IDIOT would plant their  Prize Winning
Vines so close to the fence knowing that there was Prize  Winning Livestock
near.
 I'm not so nice anymore......:) I moved the  cows forward to the inside
pasture but left my Donkey Marvin back there.   You see, it was only the COWS
that
he complained about but I knew  different.  At dusk Marvin would step on the
wiring and climb up the fence  to trim the grapes.....LOL

Next a call to a friend and a purchase of solar fencing system to the  tune
of $850.00.  This all done within a two week span and during that time  Marvin
did a GREAT JOB.  Good Boy Marvin.

Neighbors can be problems and this one is to all of us in the area.   They
make living in the country no fun. In the near future I have plans on  either
move out of the area on to some land that I bought up in  Anderson, north of
here and have all the cows I want.  Lucy, Mary, Marvin  and the youngins will
enjoy it but I will the most.

City Folks--GO HOME is my saying.

Guess you can tell I'm bored sitting here awaiting the birth of my
singleton......

Lois Gregor
Schatten Shepherds
Sonoma, Ca.