[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A Different Perspective Perhaps

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx, cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:09:42 EST

In a message dated 2/22/2007 9:52:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx writes:
What I  don't understand is why everyone is saying there is such a need for
puppies that they have to mass produce and import them.  That's  crazy.  The
newspapers are FULL of ads...so is the pound...so is  rescue...

I guess it depends on where you are what your experience is.   Our newspapers
aren't "full" and people struggle to find a dog.

To my knowledge, we don't have a lot in rescue either.  And...that's a
touchy subject.  Sometimes dogs end up in rescue because they have  issues.
Now,
while it may nor be the dog's fault, in fact more often that  not, it ISN'T the
dog's fault, it takes a special situation (single or married,  preferably no
children...in case there ARE issues, usually no pets, etc. etc.)  to take on a
special case.  I'm not saying you don't try and certainly, it  CAN work, but
fixing potential issues and/or taking a chance on what  they're getting into
(with a very large and powerful dog) may be more than  many want to sign up for.

How many of you that do rescue get the call "my dog bit the neighbor's  child
so I have to bring it to rescue?" or "my dog has separation anxiety and
destroys the house so I have to bring it to rescue?"  What about health
issues?
It takes a special person to take that on and more often than not,  people want
the cuddly 8 week old baby who doesn't have bad habits (yet!).

We don't have a lot in pounds either and one of the best comments I've heard
lately when  discussing bringing a dog home from a pound is to replace the
word "pet" with  the word "gun", as in "I left the children home alone with the
gun", "I let the  gun ride in the back of the car with the children", "I walk
my gun daily in the  park"...because, face it, you really don't know why the
dog ended up  there.  (And I HAVE rescued a GSD and looking back, my family
took
a lot of  really DUMB chances!  WE were lucky, and I would do it again, but
with a  bit more knowledge of what COULD HAVE happened.)

But basically Jamie, in the Northeast, there aren't a lot of puppies to go
around.

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_ (http://www.geocities.com/pine
hillgsds/)
http://www.aol.com.