[ SHOWGSD-L ] 2 life savers that I know of in my group

  • From: "Norma Ramey" <gsdramey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 15:28:32 -0500

One of my GSDs belonged to a family with a young toddler.  The lady was in the
fenced in backyard with the dog and the, I think he was about 2 yrs or so old.
I forget the age of the dog it's been so long ago.   She was working in the
garden
and got involved then looked up as she heard short barks not close.  No dog or
child in sight.  The side gate was open, apparently figured out by the child and
she saw the dog, sort of trying to her the boy back into the yard as they headed
out toward the street.      She called to tell me thank you so much for
allowing me
to have such a great animal.   Makes it all worthwhile.
Now, the second story, to me is very unusual!  An older widower was hospitalized
and I took care of his horse during that month.   He asked if I'd sell him a
GSD from
my next litter.   His daughter lives next to him and said she'd feel better if
a dog was
there.     I allowed him to have a sable male at 20 weeks, beginning training
etc. at
my home -- NO FENCE at his home, but he had the time and within a week or so,
he had that dog to where it would not put a paw beyond the carport.  House sits
way
back from a busy road tho.   When the dog was not quite a year old, visitors at
the
daughter's had a young 3 - 4 year old daughter with them.  It was a weekend and
he went over for dinner, dog always followed him.     After going back home
about
an hour later, someone bangs on his door.    He came out to find a strange man
with the little girl.     He said he was so very sorry, but as he came down the
road
the girl and dog were in front of him and he tried to swerve, but hit the dog.
It was
obvious to him that the dog was trying to "herd" the girl back on the grass, he
knocked
her down and pushed her a bit, but his big self was still on the edge of the
road.  The
man said he just couldn't stop in time and hit the dog, he was killed instantly.
Just imagine the big shock that driver had when he learned that that was the
very
first time that dog had ever seen that little girl.   Wow, to save her that was
was REAL.
I studied years ago and learned that other breeds had been attempted to be used
for
blind guidance and other assistance work, most failed because they don't seem to
have the added instinct a GSD or Lab may have to, ignore the training when
needed.
                          I JUST LOVE THEM SO MUCH.              Norma no L