[Shadowdancer] The Arrangement

  • From: Jet <offerings_burnt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Shadowdancer <shadowdancer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:27:03 -0700 (PDT)

The Arrangement

by Nathan Farris

Shadowdancer dropped out of warp, moving at quarter impulse as it crept closer
to the Starbase. Within the vicinity of the space station, the small ship had
to make a dozen- if not more- course corrections to avoid any other departing
ships heading out to their destinations.

Nate looked at the screen, seeing familiar Starfleet and Klingon ships speeding
past them. Dan had opened a channel to the Starbase, but Fleet had kept them on
hold. It wouldn't be after ten minutes, what seemed to be stopping an inch away
from the Station's plates, and silent tapping of Nate's foot that he finally
got a response.

"This is Starbase Two-Nineteen. I am Lieutenant Commander Weller, Chief of
Operations, I'll be guiding you the rest of the way. If you haven't noticed,
we're a little preoccupied."

"That's fine," Nate said with a shrug as he moved to Dan's right side and
stayed there as he looked back up, "what do you need?"

"First, we need you to be in synchronous orbit around the station." Commander
Weller than looked elsewhere for a brief period, "we've been told you are to be
part of the convoy headed to New Berlin. Proceed to coordinates..." The
Operations officer rattled off the location and Dan set a course towards the
named positioned. "We'll need you to stay in this synchronous orbit until we
get the supplies transported and a few people."

"A few people? I was told only cargo after a second talk to Captain Jennings."

"I know, but Im hoping you could accommodate a few people. Most are going home,
some are being assigned there."

"How many are we talking about here?" Nate asked.

"Thirty to fifty people. Depending. Im trying to keep the least amount to your
ship, but the way things are right now, you could end up with fifty. Can your
ship accommodate?"

"I... should hope so," Nate said. He hadn't checked on the ships availability
due to the crew's obvious size. He estimated maybe thirty, and that wasn?t an
estimate, it was a wild guess. Dan looked at him and gave a nonchalant shrug-
apparently confident the Shadowdancer could accommodate fifty officers.

"We can send some teams there and ascertain if your ship can do it or not.
Besides, the entire transfer is going to take another day. We're expecting the
Mercedyne in ten hours. You might get one or two wounded, but we?ll supply the
necessary medical equipment."

There was a skip in Nate's response. The job was easy, it was just the people
that were about to crowd his crew's space. "Alright."

"As agreed in your contract, you'll receive refueling, any repairs, and
resupply. "When you?ve reached New Berlin, you?ll get your payment there. The
lead ship in the convoy will fill you in on the payment and when to receive.
Also, we?d like to remind you to stay alert when you head off. Try to keep
within the convoy, and when under attack, do not stray away unless absolutely
needed." Commander Weller nodded by way of good bye, "we?ll be in contact again
soon," and the screen went blank.

"When you going to tell the crew?" Dan asked as he turned to face Nate. His
fingers clicking on engage as the ship moved around the station at the
predetermined course and speed.

"What? The windows not good enough? Can't they see the big ass station?"

"Nate," Dan replied. Part humor, part seriousness.

"I'll tell them, I'll tell them. This is going to be easier then they realise.
All they have to do is go about their routines, nothing big. I just hope they
don't get into any fights with the fleeters." Nate replied as Dan looked at
him. Hesitantly, Nate reached over and activated the internal communications,
"Attention crew..."

http://mail.yahoo.com