[sfordnews] No budget

  • From: "John S. Grispon" <discog@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Limerick Spring-Ford list list <LIM-SF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <LIM-SF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, New List <sfordnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 13:50:58 -0400

This feels familiar: Pennsylvania may be a long way from a budget deal!
Our friends over at Capitolwire are reporting that House Democrats and Senate Republicans don’t have enough votes to pass the budget as-is. (For those without a Capitolwire subscription, check out the Capitol Ideas summary here.)

A coalition of 30 Democrats has threatened to block the deal unless a plan to expand oil and natural gas drilling on state land (a plan we like) is dropped, and Democrats from the Philadelphia area are infuriated over the new arts and culture tax.

The two caucuses are sitting down with Gov. Rendell today to try to work out a new deal. As reported by Capitolwire, House Democrats are giving Rendell and the Republicans two options: Either introduce the budget and see it fail or change the deal to make it more palatable to the rank and file.

We’ll keep you updated throughout the day on this.

John S. Grispon
discog@xxxxxxxxxxx
610-948-7655