[SeniorTech] Re: Beware of "Foistware"

  • From: Dollyrch@xxxxxxx
  • To: seniortech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 21:13:15 -0500 (EST)

Thank you Jerry for this valuable information.   I will keep it  on file.

Dolly

In a message dated 1/31/2013 9:06:28 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

What is Foistware?
Foistware  is a term used for software that's "foisted" on you, typically
without your  knowledge or explicit consent. Foistware isn't technically
malware, but it can  range from marginally useful, to annoying, to malicious.
Most often, foistware  takes the form of _browser toolbars_
(http://askbobrankin.com/download_alert_foistware_warning.html?awt_l=GT.6N&awt_m=J6Wn11p1n8P6SL
) ,  but it can also take over your browser homepage and preferred search
engines.  Some foistware pops up when you visit online shopping sites, and
tries to  steer you to certain vendors or offers.
Foistware  almost always tags along when you download a program that you do
want. Through  various deceptive practices, the download process may try to
add extra,  unwanted software to your installation package. Usually it
takes the form of a  checkbox that's already selected, and if you just click
NEXT or  CONTINUE without reading carefully, you'll end up with this extra
software  clutter.

Sometimes confusing buttons, self-serving "recommendations" or  items
buried in the terms of service play a role. In other cases, a tag-along
foistware product will be installed with NO prompt or warning. But thankfully,
those are rare.
The purveyors of these pollutants will say that it's your fault for  not
paying attention, and to a certain point, they're right. If you're very
careful to uncheck all those boxes, read every word on each segment of the
download/install dialogs, and scan the legalese for gotchas, you can avoid
almost all of these foistware nuisances.
But many users have become accustomed to clicking an endless series  of
Next, Next, Next to get through a software installation. Nobody want to  read
those long, boring Terms of Service and the accompanying legal blah,  blah,
blah that can make your eyes glaze over. And plenty of users are not
technically savvy enough to understand that a "recommended" toolbar, add-on or
plugin is not in their best interests.
You might  think this problem would show up mostly in the dark corners of
the Web. But  the most egregious offenders are some of the most trusted and
popular names in  Internet software. If you try to download or update your
_Adobe Reader_
(http://askbobrankin.com/download_alert_foistware_warning.html?awt_l=GT.6N&awt_m=J6Wn11p1n8P6SL)
  or Flash  Player, Skype, or the Foxit
Reader, you'll see examples of what I mean. Adobe  pushes the McAfee Security
Scan, which you probably don't need.  Foxit  Reader is also guilty of pushing
the useless Ask.com toolbar. See the images  on this page for examples of
what to look out  for.

The Ask  Toolbar is especially loathsome, because it has a delayed
installer. You'll  download your software and everything appears to be fine. No
annoying popups  or_toolbars_
(http://askbobrankin.com/download_alert_foistware_warning.html?awt_l=GT.6N&awt_m=J6Wn11p1n8P6SL)
  in your  browser, great. But
after lurking for ten minutes, the Ask Toolbar installer  springs to life
and does its dirty work. Later, you open your browser, and see  the damage.
And hopefully, you'll chalk it up to a lapse in your anti-virus  program,
instead of blaming the company that foisted it on  you.
Hope and Change?
There are  a few bright spots in the foistware arena. The ever-popular
Skype used to push  unwanted software extras, but now they just want to mess
with your _browser settings_
(http://askbobrankin.com/download_alert_foistware_warning.html?awt_l=GT.6N&awt_m=J6Wn11p1n8P6SL)
  by  foisting Bing and MSN on
you.  More good news comes from Oracle and their ubiquitous Java. Until
very  recently, downloads for Java or Java security updates would present you
with a  pre-checked offer to install the Ask Toolbar.
And with  the recent Java security scares, most people just wanted to get
the updates  and get on with it. I imagine that several million people got
the Ask Toolbar  in this manner, during last week's Java security panic. But
as of last Friday,  my tests indicate that Oracle has removed the offer to
bundle Ask with Java  downloads. So good for them.
And I  have to mention _Ninite_ (http://ninite.com/) , an  awesome service
that lets you select one or more popular downloads, and safely  download
them with a few clicks. It eliminates the Next, Next, Next by  automating the
installation process; promises no toolbars or other unwanted  extras; and
will help you update your software to the latest version when  necessary. It's
free, and it just works.
CNET/Download.com:  A Six-Part Horror Story
I've  saved the best (or worst, depending on your point of view) for last.
Recently,  CNET, which I  always admired for their trusted reviews, safe
downloads and tech advice, has  become one of the worst offenders in the
foistware game.  CNET has a  popup disclaimer on their download buttons that
says:
"The  CNET  Download.com Installer is a tiny ad-supported "download
manager" that helps  securely deliver your downloads. We also include offers
for
carefully screened  software that complies with Download.com  policies..."
That  doesn't sound too bad. After all, CNET has been  around since before
Al Gore invented _the Internet_
(http://askbobrankin.com/download_alert_foistware_warning.html?awt_l=GT.6N&awt_m=J6Wn11p1n8P6SL)
 ,  and they're the good
guys, right? Well, I decided to try downloading a program  from CNET called
 Toolbar Cleaner. As you might expect, it offers to remove annoying and
unwanted toolbars from your computer. The CNET download  process plays out
over six successive screens. The first screen you see after  clicking the green
Download button is cluttered with misleading ads that want  you click on
more "Download Now" buttons that have nothing to do with the  program you
actually want to download. There's actually nothing you need to  click here at
all. If you have a fast connection, a familiar browser popup  will appear,
prompting you to save or run the downloaded file. If you have a  slow
connection, you may wonder what's going on, explore the various deceptive  ads
on
the page, and click off in the wrong  direction.
If you're  lucky, you'll see what looks like another ad across the page
that instructs  you to open the Installer, click 'Yes' or 'Run', and follow the
Installer  instructions. Assuming you get this far, you'll be greeted by
the  CNET  Download.com installer window (Step 1 of 5), which assures you that
you're  installing the right program, and that it's virus and spyware
free.
Clicking  NEXT STEP  brings you to the point where the first foistware is
offered. If you're not  paying close attention here in Step 2, you'll end up
installing "Coupon  Companion," which is an adware app that messes with your
browser settings and  redirects your searches. (See the first CNET image on
 this page, above.) The privacy policy says that it "may collect or store
information about the web pages you visit and your activity on those pages.
Information collected by the plugin may be personally identifiable, and may
be  used or shared with third parties."
Ick. If that's not bad enough, it's also difficult to completely  remove
this pest. (MalwareBytes AntiMalware identifies it as malicious, and  will
remove it.) The download screen prompts you to "_Click_
(http://askbobrankin.com/download_alert_foistware_warning.html?awt_l=GT.6N&awt_m=J6Wn11p1n8P6SL)

ACCEPT  now to continue your installation". If you do happen to read the text
 underneath, you may be left wondering whether the DECLINE or CLOSE buttons
 will let you continue with the installation of Toolbar  Cleaner.
Moving  along to Step 3, the next screen in the CNET/Download.com  process
prompts you to "Click NEXT STEP now  to continue." But wait, there's a bunch
of tiny pre-selected checkboxes  lurking. If you fail to notice, you'll get
the Iminent Toolbar, and Iminent  SearchTheWeb bolted on to your web
browser. In other tests I ran, a different  toolbar/browser/search hijack combo
called Visual Bee was offered. Failure to  uncheck these boxes will result in
these annoying (and possibly malicious)  toolbars winding up on your
computer.
Thankfully,  Step 4 and Step 5 are innocuous, and you can finally click a
green INSTALL  NOW button,  to install your software. I ran through the CNET
download  process several times, and in one instance, it prompted me to add
THREE  unwanted extra programs to my download bundle. I was incredulous that
 CNET tried to  foist two or three browser toolbars on me while trying to
download a program  that's supposed to *remove* toolbars. If you make it
through this gauntlet  unscathed, carefully unchecking and declining all of
CNET's  "carefully screened offers", you'll finally get to download the
installer for  Toolbar Cleaner.
This is  where the horror show is supposed to end. "But wait..." as they
say in those  infomercials, "there's more!" I clicked on the installer I had
just  downloaded, and guess what? The Toolbar Cleaner Setup Wizard instructed
me to  simply click FINISH to close the wizard. But below that, two more
pre-selected  checkboxes recommended that I "Protect my system with
Anti-phishing Domain  Advisor" and change my browser start page to MyStart.
More
foistware and  browser hijacking nonsense. The CANCEL button is greyed out, so
your only  option is to uncheck those boxes and continue onward. But after all
that,  there's no way I'm going to trust this program on my computer. Or
CNET, either,  until they clean up this mess.
I  understand that online businesses that provide free advice, reviews and
other  services have to do something to make money. So ads and sponsors are
part of  the Internet ecosystem. But deceptive practices don't have to be.
Tricking  unsuspecting users into downloading crappy or _malicious software_
(http://askbobrankin.com/download_alert_foistware_warning.html?awt_l=GT.6N&aw
t_m=J6Wn11p1n8P6SL)  is  obviously wrong. I'd be fine if they put that
checkbox on the page and  recommended a useful add-on program. Just leave it up
to me to check that box  and decide that I want _a toolbar_
(http://askbobrankin.com/download_alert_foistware_warning.html?awt_l=GT.6N&awt_m=J6Wn11p1n8P6
SL) ,  plugin or whatever.

Jerry Taylor
SeniorTech