[seminarios-mlpb] Reminder: Seminar talk tomorrow

  • From: Miguel Almeida <miguel.almeida@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "seminarios-mlpb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <seminarios-mlpb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 09:47:57 +0000

Hello all,

Tomorrow we will have Dr. Diamantino Caseiro from Google, presenting a seminar
called "Bottleneck Neural Network Language Models".

See you there!
Miguel

TALK ANNOUNCEMENT  --  Anfiteatro do Complexo Interdisciplinar

Priberam Machine Learning Lunch Seminar
Speaker: Dr. Diamantino Caseiro, Google
Venue: IST Alameda, Anfiteatro do Complexo Interdisciplinar
Date: Tuesday, March 24th, 2015
Time: 13:00
Lunch will be provided

Title:
Bottleneck Neural Network Language Models

Abstract:
In the last few years, language modeling techniques based on  exponential
models have consistently outperformed traditional n-gram models. Such
techniques include L1-Regularized Maximum Entropy (L1-MaxEnt), and both
Feedforward and Recurrent Neural Network  Language Models (RNNLM). While more
accurate, these models are also much more expensive to train and use. This
presents a problem for low latency applications where it is desirable to find
n-gram approximations that can be used in the first pass of a speech
recognition system. In this talk I will present Bottleneck Neural Network
Language Models, a novel feedforward architecture designed to be achieve low
perplexity while allowing for n-gram approximations. This model is similar to
MaxEnt models in the sense that its input is a rich set of features, however
these features are processed though a non linear hidden layer to encourage
generalization. In the talk, I will compare this architecture to other
exponential models and I will present an effective algorithm for creating
n-gram approximations. Results will be presented on standard data sets and on a
voice-mail to text state of the art ASR system.

Bio:
Diamantino Caseiro received a M.Sc. degree in electrical and computer
engineering from Instituto Superior Tecnico (IST), Lisbon, Portugal in 1998,
and a Ph.D in computer science, also from IST, in 2003. He was an assistant
professor in the computer engineering department of this University from 2004
to 2007 and a member of the Spoken Language Systems Laboratory of INESC-ID from
1996 to 2007, where he specialized in weighted finite-state transducers and
search algorithms for automatic speech recognition (ASR).  From 2008 to 2014,
he was a Principal Research Scientist at AT&T Labs Research, being responsible
for language modeling, finite-state transducers and search for ASR. Since 2014
he has been a Senior Research Scientist at Google, working on search for ASR
and on massive scale maximum entropy language modeling.

General info about our seminars:
http://labs.priberam.com/Academia-Partnerships/Seminars.aspx
Please forward this link to whoever might be interested in attending the
seminars.

Miguel Almeida

Research Scientist

[cid:image001.png@01D0654E.7071B920]