[seminarios-mlpb] Re: Kick-off

  • From: Shadab Khan <skhan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: seminarios-mlpb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 10:50:45 +0530

Andre,

I would first like to congratulate you for this fab idea. I am ok with all of the points you have mentioned.

--
Shadab
IS Lab (6.12)

On 09-Feb-10, at 12:28 AM, Andre Martins wrote:

Dear colleagues,

Thanks for your interest in the seminars!
We have currently more than 60 people in the mailing list, from several labs/departments in IST and outside IST, and with a wide range of research interests, which is quite encouraging.

Let's now discuss more practical issues. Here is my idea about how the seminars should work:

1) We start by choosing a day of the week
2) We decide the periodicity of the seminars
3) We make a list of volunteered presenters and assign a tentative date for each
4) Each presenter decides what to present
5) An announcement will be sent to the mailing list one week ahead, with the title of the talk and a small abstract.

Eventually, some of the sessions may be interleaved with invited talks. For example, there is a confirmed talk at March 2nd (Tuesday) by Noah Smith, a professor at Carnegie Mellon University (the topic is still to be announced).

As for 1), I'd like to propose Tuesdays at 13:00. Please let me know if you have any constraints that make this a bad choice. Meetings will last one hour, with at least 15 minutes for discussion. The place will be a room at IST (to be arranged). As stated in the previous message, free food will be provided.

As for 2), and since enough presenters seem to be ensured (see next point), every other week seems adequate (i.e. each 14 days). Let me know your thoughts.

Regarding 3): As said before, the talks are supposed to be very informal. By default, everyone in this mailing list is a volunteered presenter, unless he/she explicitly states otherwise. :-) We should plan at least a couple of months ahead, so there is time for late-minute changes and rearrangements. We're planning to start the seminars right after the holiday, which would make Noah's invited talk at March 2nd the first session. After that, we need volunteers for:

March 16th
March 30th
April 6th
April 20th

If one of the above dates suits you, please let me know ASAP. I put forth a poll at http://www.doodle.com/wdka46a7f2u9snqf where you can specify your preferences (or you can just send me that information by e-mail). A tentative schedule will be made by next week.

Regarding 4), this is completely up to the presenter. He/she can speak about his/her own research, describe some challenging problem, survey a particular line of research, practice a conference talk, etc etc.

That is all for now. Any comments and suggestions will be appreciated!

Cheers,

André

PS: If any of you is willing to help me with the organization, please let me know. The goal is that with the routine the seminar becomes nearly self-organized.