[seedit] Re: Editing CSS file...

  • From: Sven E Olsson <seeditmaxi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: seeditmaxi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 21:30:50 +0100

On Dec 2, 2011, at 20:52:55, Chuck Miller wrote:

> Greetings -
>
> I have no idea if this problem relates to SEEdit or not. That's why I'm
> asking.
>
> In preparing to update an old website, I used CSS to revise the home page.
> Then I removed the CSS from the home page and put it in a linked CSS file.
> Then I developed a new nav menu with a Dreamweaver extension, got it working,
> and removed that to become a library item. Applied the library item to the
> home page.
>
> It more-or-less works. My browser shows the page OK.
>
> But there is one continuing problem. When I open the home page or work in it,
> I repeatedly get a series of 6 javascript errors that have to be dismissed.
> The javascript error messages mention phatfusion but none of the files for
> the home page include "phat" or "js" or "com". I've searched them all and
> examined the site folder. How do I get javascript errors if there's no
> javascript? How does Phatfusion get involved if I can't find the word?

Use Google and search on "Phatfusion" … and you get the answer I think ...

In what tool/editor do you get the error messages?

> The reason I think SEEdit *might* be involved is that after I made the
> external CSS stylesheet, Dreamweaver complained that there was an error in it.

What error? Error message?
Not correct syntax?

> But I looked and looked and found no way to identify the error. So I opened
> the CSS file in SEEdit 8. Tidy wasn't available, and the display showed no
> error, so I went on through SEEdit to open the file in Espresso - the
> auxiliary editor that Sven has just made an option. I didn't find a validator
> in Espresso either (may have missed it) but a bit of code was given an
> unusual color, so I deleted it. Saved the file in both Espresso and SEEdit,
> and brought it back into DW.

Tidy do not validate css files … Upload the file to a server and use W3
validator,  SEEdit "Server Check Documents" or the Site Window contextual menu.
 The w3 css checker validate css 2.1 so you could get some errors for css3 but
that is just to ignore.

> DW was now satisfied with the linked CSS file.

Was it related to SEEdit? Do SEEdit insert css using wrong syntax (from the
Quick CSS palette or any other insertion tools)?

> But the javascript errors continued. The page looked fine in a browser, but
> the errors were a big headache.
>
> I thought maybe "phatfusion" was somehow connected to SEEdit, so I looked in
> the site folder and found & deleted the "_seeditsiteprefs" folder.

You lost a lot of SEEdit features…..

> Site still good in browser. JS errors still plentiful.

How do the js error messages looks like?

And I think you find it using Google and search for "Phatfusion"

> This may all be to bizarre for anyone to assist with. If so, maybe the most
> basic question is:
>
>   Is it safe to take files into SEEdit for editing and then add them back to
> a Dreamweaver site? Are there necessary precautions?

YES, if the file is "standard" html, css, js files … and SEEdit and DreamWeaver
use the same text-encoding. SEEdit use utf-8 for the js and css files and the
meta tag encodings for html documents. (I think you only use us-ascii (a-z) so
there is no problems)

> Chuck M

Sven E

Sven E Olsson
seeditmaxi@xxxxxxxxx
http://seeditmaxi.cachefly.net/
feed://seeditmaxi.cachefly.net/rss/rss.xml

Skype: seeditonskype