[Section 31] The Past - (Part 5 of 5) - Home

  • From: JCarnegie3rd@xxxxxxx
  • To: section31@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 01:12:46 EDT

The Past - Home
By  Jefferson and Luann Carnegie

Time - 5 Months  Ago
The cargo ship left him off at Starbase One, orbiting Earth, where he
arranged to beam right to his fathers Embassy in  Pittsburgh.
The officers were quite helpful and when he materialized, he was outside  the
main entrance.
He opened the door, not expecting anything out of the ordinary, but when  he
did he saw an Ambassadorial Aide running frantically after a little boy.  â
Andy, stop this instant.â
Andy turned down the hall towards the front door, and right at  Jefferson.
He promptly scooped up the child.  âHello, short stuff, whatâs your
name?â
âAndyâ, replied the child, âWhatâs yours?â
âJefferson.â
âThatâs a funny name.â
âBut my middle name is Andrew.â
The boy smiled.
âSorry, Lieutenant, for having the boy bother you like thisâ, the aide
came
up, out of breath.
âNot a problem.  If itâs not  an issue, I think I can take him from
here.â
Turning to the boy in his arms, âSo who  is your mother?â
âMy momâs name is Luann, and sheâs pretty,â then Andyâs voice goes to
whisper, âand single.â
Jefferson lets out a chuckle, âOh  is she now.  Interesting.â
Together they walk down the hall towards the Ambassadorâs office, and
towards the future, together.

Jefferson walked into the outer  office with Andy, now at his side.
âMomâ this is Jefferson.â
Luann looked up at Jefferson, no internal  recognition in her face, except
that she knew that he was the Ambassadorâs son,  âGood afternoon,
Lieutenant.
Hopefully, my son hasnât been bothering you.â
âNo bother at all.  Is my  father available?â
âActually, he should be just finishing up a meeting with Ambassador, oh I  can
ât remember all their names.â
âThere are just so many of themâ, Jefferson  winks.
âSometimes, I think the same wayâ, Luann smiles.
They stare at each other for an exceedingly long time, lost in each  others
eyes.
âWould you and your son care to join me for dinner this evening?  I havenât
been to  Pittsburgh in so long, and would  love to dine on Mount Washington.â
Luann blinks, âMount Washington, they have some  fine restaurants there, not
sure if Andy would eat thereâ, they both looked at  Andy.
Jefferson asks, âAndy, would you  like to go to dinner with your mom and
me?â

Luann was making ânoâ motions behind Jefferson, as  Andy looked back and
forth between them.  âNo.â
Jefferson seemed perplexed, âIs it  ok that I take your mother to dinner with
me?â
This time, Luann was making âyesâ motions behind  Jefferson, âYes.â
âGood, then itâs settled.  And Andy, weâll do something fun ourselvesâ,

Jefferson winked.
âOkie dokie, Iâm going to my room now.  See you later  Jeffersonâ, he
turned
at walked out.
âQuite a boy you have there.â
âYes he is, and he seems to have taken quick to you.  Half the men around
here canât keep him  still, and he was stuck on you.â
Jefferson just smiled, he knew  why, it was his son, but she wouldn't know
that.

Jefferson had returned from dinner  with Luann, they had a wonderful time,
watching the old style riverboats from  the restaurant, and then rode the
incline down to walk along the  river.
He had walked into the garden where he and his father had talked before  the
mission.  His father stood  looking at the stars.
âGood evening, father.â
âAh, Jefferson, I had heard you were here.  Sorry that my schedule forbid me
to come  see you. You know the life of an Ambassador.â
Jefferson nodded at his fathers  words.  His mind thinking and  deciding on
some facts, âSo how is that genetic defect?â
Andrew looked oddly at Jefferson, âIt is under  control for the time being,
but how do you know.â
âYou told me the last time we were in the garden, on a night like this,  six
years ago.â
âBut, you shouldn't remember that.â
Jefferson just nodded, âWhy  shouldn't I remember?  I remember
everythingâ,
his voice a little louder.
âJefferson, keep your voice down.  They still watch and listen.â
Jefferson blinked at this  pronouncement.
âThey would still want you to not remember that mission.  I have been able to
keep Luann safe, but  you how did you remember?â
âIt just came back to me, slowly.  After I remembered the defect, I ran a
scan on myself, it is true, I have  it now.  Perhaps that is why I
rememberedâ,
Jefferson paused.  âYes, Luann is as lovely as always, and  Andy is just like
I was, isn't he?â
Andrew smiled, âYes, he isâ, letting out a slight chuckle.
Together they walked back to the house.

The next several days, Jefferson spent evenings  with Luann.  And days in the
gardens  with Andy while his mother, and Jeffersonâs father  work.
The two of them were almost unseparatable during the  day.
On a day before Jefferson was supposed to make his  way back to the Einstein,
he took Andy to the furthest corner for some time,  âAndy, I have to ask you
something.â
âOk, Jeffersonâ, as he sat cross-legged on the ground.
Jefferson sat down on the grass,  âWould it be ok with you, if I asked your
mother to marry me?â
Andy with a surprised look, âReally?!â
âThat is, if you think it is a good idea, I donât want to do it if you
donâ
t want me to.â
Andy made a face like he was in deep thought for a few moments, âOk, you  can
marry my mom.â
âThanks, Andy.â
Later that same day, Jefferson  took Luann to the same corner with a blanket.
 And together they sat.
Jefferson was a little nervous,  âLuannâ, taking a deep breathe, âI
wanted
to ask you  something.â
Luann took her eyes from the sky and looked at  Jefferson.
âWill you marry me?â
âWhat about Starfleet?â
âI will resign my commission and come back to Earth and work at the CDC
again.â
âAnd I suppose thatâ, trying to think of anything to respond to  that.
Finally out of ideas,  âYes.â
âYes, you'll marry me?â
âYesâ, she nodded and then kissed him.