[SAMPE] January 2005 Newsletter!

  • From: "Anthony Nguyen" <anguyen0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <seattlesampe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <mse-all@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <engradv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <advising@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:26:06 -0800

Seattle Chapter - SAMPE Newsletter - January 2005If this newsletter does not
appear properly, please visit
http://www.seattlesampe.org/newsletter/01-2005.htmlThis Month's Dinner
Aerospace Carbon Fiber: Manufacturing, Capacity and Trends
Speaker: Dr. Julian Lowe

When: Tuesday - January 25, 2005 Social Hour: 5:00PM
Dinner: 6:00
Speaker: After Dinner
Where: Holiday Inn at SeaTac 17338 Pacific Hwy S
"SeaTac Room" - 12th Floor

Price: Regular: $20 with RSVP, $25 w/o RSVP Student/Retiree: $10 with RSPV, $15
w/o RSVP
Dinner: Choice of: >London Broil (tender marinated sirloin, with red wine sauce
& sautéed mushrooms)
>Chicken Florentine (breast of chicken stuffed with spinach and Monterey Jack
>cheese)
>NW vegetable lasagna (filled with fresh herbs, mushrooms and Marinara sauce).
>lightly tossed with fresh pasta in a creamy Alfredo sauce).
Reservations: e-mail: seattlesampe@xxxxxxxxxxx voicemail: (206) 528-2577
RSVP with Menu Choice by NOON, Friday January 21, 2005
About the Topic
Dr. Lowe will describe current manufacturing technology for aerospace oriented
PAN-based standard and intermediate modulus fibers. The talk will also cover
global capacity, end use markets and forecasted aerospace usage worldwide. Dr.
Lowe will also discuss current trends in carbon fiber processing beyond
traditional prepregs, such as resin transfer molding and resin film infusion.
The talk will conclude with a discussion of new products, such as low cost
fibers and new fiber specialties and commercial constraints associated with
bringing new products to market.

About the Speaker
Dr. Julian Lowe graduated from the Mechanical. Engineering Department of
Nottingham University, UK, with a PhD gained from research into the resin
transfer molding (RTM) process. He undertook a graduate apprentiship at
Westland Helicopters before working with industrial composites at Balmoral in
Scotland. Later, Julian joined Tenax Fibers GmbH in Germany. Julian has been
involved in various development positions at the company, and is now leader of
the Technical Marketing Group, specializing in the development of materials for
Aerospace Applications. Julian Lowe is particularly interested in the
application of non-prepreg technologies to produce CFRP aerospace parts.

Student Scholarship Awards! Annual Scholarships were awarded at the November
meeting. The recipients, in the foreground from left to right, are James
Kotlik, Western Washington University; Patrick Lariviere, Western Washington
University; and Bjorn Ballien of the University of Washington. Scholarship
Committee members Sylvester Hill and Don Chamberlain are shown in the
background from left to right, respectively. A total of $2000 was granted this
year. Bjorn Ballien was award the coveted Mort Kushner Award, for outstanding
academic achievement and community service. Congratulations all!
SAMPE Job Opportunity!
SAMPE is looking for a person to join their exhibits sales team. We're looking
for a self-starter who is confident enough to work on a commission-basis from
January - April, 2005. Location in Los Angeles / San Diego preferred but not
necessary. Experience in materials and processing industry a plus. Please
contact Christina McDermott at 858.335.3264 or christina@xxxxxxxxxx if you or
anyone you know is interested.
Thank you,

Christina McDermott
SAMPE, New Business Development
T: 858.335.3264 / F: 858.672.1739 / christina@xxxxxxxxx
www.sampe.org

Puget Sound Materials ExpoSuppliers of materials, tooling, manufacturing and
processing equipment and services for the composites and related industries
will be on hand with tabletop displays. Come and see the latest and greatest in
new developments. Talk with the experts! Get your questions answered and your
materials or process problems solved.
For more information, contact Barry Van West (206-655-3737) or Angela Trego
(206-655-3755).
When: Tuesday, February 22, 2005
Where: The Museum of Flight
Price: FREE!
Hours: 2pm til 8pm

Keynote Speaker: Doug McCarville, Boeing MR&D Technical Fellow, will give a
presentation on Unmanned Vehicles, their development, materials and process
challenges and future prospects.
Keynote Presentation will be from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Contact Information
Please send any comments, questions or concerns about the newsletter to Anthony
Nguyen or Gregory Gleason. Please visit us on the web at
http://www.SeattleSampe.org!

Support our Sponsors!
Click on the ads for more info!

JPEG image